We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling in spain

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
Level Contributor
1 post
57 reviews
Save Topic
traveling in spain

We are flying to Madrid in 3 weeks and plan on spening 2 days there and afterwards rent a car for a week to travel around Spain (to and from Madrid)..I would love to hear recomendations for a route and not just to see the cities where most tourists go to but elsewhere. Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,978 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling in spain

You need to read up of Spain, and to give you some idea www.spain.info www.andalucia.com/villages/home.html

Car rental www.auto-europe.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Non EU citizens require an International driving permit for Spain

Accommodation ww.venere.com

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,771 posts
3,570 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling in spain

Susan:

I recommend staying 4 days in Madrid. Do one day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia. Read about these day trips in the top questions on the right panel.

Take the train to Cordoba and stay one day.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Take the train to Seville and stay 3 days. You can do a day trip to Ronda. Read about this day trip in the top questions of the Seville forum.

Take the train to Granada and stay 2 days. Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY.

Edited: 25 February 2014, 08:43
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,195 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling in spain

As you are planning to rent a car from Madrid then depending on factors like weather etc I would head south personally and look at the map. It would be possible to drive to Toledo first and stay over and I think you will be interested in the history of Toledo very much. Perhaps arrive early and leave later next day ? Then continue the route via those Don Quixote windmills at Consuegra and head cross country to Ciudad Real. This town is really interesting although I have never visited !!! It is on my must do list. Then maybe drive down to Ubeda and nearby Baeza which are both lovely towns with some rich architecture (UNESCO) and after if weather good head over to the Parque Natural Sierras de Cazorla

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g315914-…

then drive to Manzanares to join the main road to Madrid.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling in spain

There are some nice routes from Madrid. One is up to Burgos which is a lovely place for a stopover (see the day trip notes here) and then on to Bilbao to the Guggenheim. Another might be to Extremadura to places like Trujillo, Caceres, Merida. Another could be to Salamanca. You might consider driving south to Cordoba, Seville or Granada and seeing the Pueblos Blancos (although this trip can be done by AVE and is probably easier done by train).

5. Re: traveling in spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 06:17