We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather at Christmas

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
246 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Weather at Christmas

Looking to spend the Christmas/New Year's holiday in Madrid. Is rain common at this time? Is there a better place to go in Spain as far as weather?

We selected Madrid as we can get a direct flight from Chicago, and the price was more reasonable than other destinations in Spain. Trying to keep the airfare at $1100 or less.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather at Christmas

Meanderingsoul:

I usually visit Madrid just before Christmas. It is cold and you need to have a very warm coat. However it seldom rains during that time.

The best weather in Spain can be found in the Costa del Sol. I live in Malaga and we have 320 days of sunshine a year. We have thousands of northern Europeans who spend all the winter here to get away from their harsh winters. Our winters in Malaga are very mild.

You can take the AVE from Madrid to Malaga.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather at Christmas

From one Badger to another, you will need a coat but not a coat for a Wisconsin winter. That would just be too warm, but in my opinion, that is a very good time to travel to Spain. Most of the tourists are Spanish at that time, but the numbers are not as great as those in the summer. As Benny suggests, Malaga is a city on the Mediterranean with a milder climate at the end of the year than Madrid. Another AVE destination is Sevilla which usually is milder than Madrid at the same time of year. (The AVE high speed rail makes most destinations on the coast only 2 1/2 hours again, which would be five hours by bus or car.)

I can guarantee you will have a great time no matter where you decide to go.

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather at Christmas

One year I had to change planes on the way to Tenerife from France. Early January and it was a blizzard outside Madrid airport.

As Benny said, the Costa del Sol is the best place on mainland Spain in winter.

The Canary islands are even better but need to be booked early as many others spend Xmas there.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather at Christmas

Cold is quite relative. I'd say that Madrid at Christmas time is rather like where I currently live in Virginia. Expect it to be more like weather you'd expect to see in late March maybe. So cold but nothing like what December is like in the Midwest. I love Christmas in Madrid. But I also love Christmas in Barcelona as well!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather at Christmas

I studied at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and the winter there was extreme compared to winter in Madrid. So everything is relative.

I have to add that it is good to dress in layers, with a sweater and a coat. Many interiors in Madrid, such as museums and stores, are kept very warm and you will need to remove your coat to feel comfortable.

The good thing about Christmas time in Madrid are the street lights that decorate the city. There are also many beautiful nativity scenes in churches and the City Hall.

Edited: 06 March 2014, 04:34
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather at Christmas

I was in Madrid in late November and early December and it was 0 Celsius (32 Fahrenheit) every morning it seemed. In a 10 day period, we had one night of very light snow, but no other precipitation. As Benny notes, many places are well-heated. But some are not, especially if you visiting the cathedrals in Segovia and Toledo, or the monastery at El Escorial. It was equally cold inside (for the obvious reasons, the enormity of these buildings). I was dressed with 4 layers of clothing, but recall there were a few tourists complaining in Segovia.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather at Christmas

Hansblix:

I have gone several times to El Escorial and this was the coldest place I have been to. The attendants working there usually had long woolen coats whenever I visited.

8. Re: Weather at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 06:28