We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any reviews about the Austrias area in Madrid?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Any reviews about the Austrias area in Madrid?

I am looking at an apartment in the Austrias area of Madrid near Plaza Mayor and San Miguel Church. Anyreviews about this area? How safe is it at night? Where is the nearest Metro Station?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any reviews about the Austrias area in Madrid?

Arby:

The Austrias area is safe. Metro stations are Sol and Opera for the Plaza Mayor.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any reviews about the Austrias area in Madrid?

Thank you for your information.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any reviews about the Austrias area in Madrid?

the austrias area and any other areas in madrid city center are safe day and night. madrid is a pretty safe city. take a look at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c112916/Madri… where you can find info about some city center neighborhoods of madrid

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any reviews about the Austrias area in Madrid?

Great area. Not super super lively at night but I'd absolutely stay there. I think it's lovely!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any reviews about the Austrias area in Madrid?

I'm not sure exactly what church you are referring to but I think you mean the Basilica Pontificia San Miguel which is southwest of Plaza Mayor and Mercado San Miguel. It is a couple blocks from the top of Calle Cava Baja and Calle Nuncio. From Calle Cava Baja to C.Cuchilleros, the Plaza Major and Mercado San Miguel is a big tapas/nightlife strip. And the area between the Palace and the Plaza Mayor seems upscale to me. The Plaza de la Villa is right there too. We have stayed on C.Cava Baja several times and visit that area every time we are in Madrid.

Depending on exactly where the rental is, La Latina or TIrso de Molina may be just as close. The church is .45km from La Latina staion, .5km from Opera or Tirso de Molina and .75km from Sol.

So here is one that describes the rental as steps from San Miguel Market and Plaza Mayor in front of San Miguel Church. They give the street as C.Puñonrostro

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3646573

That street is right next to the Basilica. The pic of the street looks pretty quiet at night but the area is great.

-K

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any reviews about the Austrias area in Madrid?

HI K,

Yes this is where we are going to stay.The owner stated that it is very close to the San Miguel Church.The only thing is that the masses are late-10:00 AM. I was told that it is typical schedule in Spain. I just have to adjust to it.Thank you for the detailed information about Austrias. I am getting excited already. Our trip is not until Set. but have been doing a lot of research. I really appreciate your review.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any reviews about the Austrias area in Madrid?

People tend to stay out very very late in Madrid as dinner itself isn't usually until about 22:00 or even later. So on a Sunday, yes Mass is usually rather late by American standards. However that said, there is another thread about earlier Mass times.

8. Re: Any reviews about the Austrias area in Madrid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 04:25