We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renfe train tickets

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
47 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Renfe train tickets

Thanks so much for such a comprehensive write up on buying tickets on the Renfe site. I'm still struggling with it though unfortunately. Is it the same to buy through a Raileurope website or similar sites - where english available.... Please advise. Thanks again

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renfe train tickets

Some I know use Petrabox and have had quite good luck with that. Benny seems to be the RENFE whisperer. But I know my close friend has had a lot of difficulties here in the US. She found using Explorer as her browser made a difference.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,464 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renfe train tickets

Neet:

Yes, the Renfe website was designed for Internet Explorer and Windows.

Dallas
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renfe train tickets

Hello, I'm going to go ahead and join this conversation instead of starting a new one.

I have read the renfe buying guide. I have tried different computers. I used IE with enabled cookies and pop ups. I have also made my way thought the all Spanish site. And I've tried creating an account with renfe first. None of that has worked.

I have a Visa with "chip and sign". I read somewhere that "chip and pin" is now required in Europe. Is this the case? Has anyone from the US had luck reserving Renfe tickets recently?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renfe train tickets

Save yourselves the hassle of using RENFE, life's too short to spend so much time on buying a rail ticket.

For some reason many on here don't tell you about other options - this lot don't charge a fee:

https://loco2.com/spanish-rail

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renfe train tickets

<<Neet:

Yes, the Renfe website was designed for Internet Explorer and Windows.>> I am very confused about this - so if you don't use Windows or you don't use the IE Browser you're pretty much screwed?

Windows - fair enough, probably the most common platform, but IE although currently used by approx 58% of PC users, it's numbers are dwindling in favour of others. Does Renfe have an affiliationg with Mr Gates? LOL !!

How can such a massive company not make it's site user friendly by being comfortable to interface across all major O/S's and Browsers?

I find RENFE an absolute nightmare; only today I was looking up a train time for a dedicated station to station schedule, and the early morning times - the last train and the penultimate one - were split over two days... WTH?? Crazy!!

I know people who book train tickets quite regularly and have switched to either Seat61 or the new Loco2 and said how much more user friendly it is.

Give it a go, but please come back and let us know how you get on :)

Good luck.

Dallas
Level Contributor
148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renfe train tickets

Just an update.

I was trying to use a Chase Visa Sapphire. I called several times to confirm that it used the "Verified by Visa" service. On maybe the 5th call to Chase, the customer service rep asked me what the error code was and I muttered "hold on, it's in Spanish". To which she replied "Is this for Renfe? We get a lot of calls about them. I don't know why, but it just has never worked with them".

I then used a family member's MasterCard and it went through. Immediately afterwards, it stopped working. I returned a different day and was able to purchase the final 2 sets of tickets we needed. Hooray!

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renfe train tickets

I recently successfully brought one way ticket from madrid to Barcelona on renfe. Site. It took me over an hour to finally successfully purchased the tickets. Using either English or Spanish, at some point the panel will turn into Spanish. The steps listed in the buying renfe ticket article is pretty much accurate except item 29 for the nationality. I could not find United States on the list so I choose canada. Nothing work as expected after that. I finally figure out that Estados Unidos stand of the US in Spanish. It is listed below Espana (Spain) on the list. You will need to select Estados Unidos for the nationalidad boxes under datos personales section and under contactos section. Everything should work fine after that including credit card verification during the payment section. Hope this help.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
47 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renfe train tickets

Thanks all for the inputs. I did finally manage to get the tickets on the Renfe site. It takes a lot of patience and struggle. Since it frequently goes into Spanish I used google translator on the side.

Of course will know after travel in April as to whether I got the right tickets or not. :-)

9. Re: Renfe train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 04:15