We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car vs Train for Day Trips

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car vs Train for Day Trips

We will be in Madrid this summer and hope to do two day trips to Segovia and Toldeo. I realize the main pro for train is convenience (traffic and being able to relax). the pro to a car is freedom. Saying that if we were to take the day trips on consecutive days, what would be better, car or train.

Weigh in and give me your pros and cons!

Thanks!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
411 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car vs Train for Day Trips

Hi there,

Having taken the train to Toledo last year, I can't begin to tell you what a relaxing journey it was! The train was really modern and clean and took only 30 minutes. We intend to do the same in a couple of weeks and use the train to get to Segovia.

My DH really enjoys driving in Spain, but for us, it's the hassle of getting in and out of a city like Madrid and also looking to find somewhere to safely park a hire car in an unknown place AND parking in Madrid! So for us,the cost and the convenience of the train outweighs the freedom of the car.

Whatever you decide, enjoy Madrid.....it's a fab place! :)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,264 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car vs Train for Day Trips

The train is great. For Segovia if you are based in central Madrid I recommend the bus run by Sepulvedana.

Take a look at the page on TA about getting to Segovia. ?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c106935/Madri…

The Google maps show you the locations of both the bus point at Intercambiador Principe Pio and the train at Chamartin. Different points to reach before the journey starts.

The bus goes into Segovia within 10 minutes walk to the Tourist office and aqueduct.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car vs Train for Day Trips

take the trains for day trips out of madrid. it is not worth the hassle of renting a car. the trains are modern, clean and very comfortable. with a car you will have parking problems in madrid and also dealing with traffic jams.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car vs Train for Day Trips

Peter:

I would take the train. Finding parking is not easy and may be expensive. There is no free parking in Spanish cities.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 04:40
5. Re: Rental Car vs Train for Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 06:16