We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Madrid's equivalent to Gracia in Barcelona ?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
What is Madrid's equivalent to Gracia in Barcelona ?

Is there an area of Madrid that has a similar feel to Gracia in Barcelona ? ( non touristy, a bit bohemian, earthy, a village within a city). I am in Madrid in late June for a week (solo), and would love to stay in a similar type area. I realise the 2 cities are different, but you probably get an idea of what I am looking for.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Madrid's equivalent to Gracia in Barcelona ?

there are areas in La Latina, Lavapies and Malasaña which correspond to this description. I like Malasaña the most of the 3, around Plaza Dos de Mayo is great. Check on google street view to get a feeling of the neighborhood

Edited: 01 April 2014, 15:57
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Madrid's equivalent to Gracia in Barcelona ?

My suggestion is Conde Duque, a small neighborhood that has sometimes been described as a village within the city. It is quite central and quiet, despite being surrounded by other busiest: Argüelles, Malasaña and Plaza of Spain. There are a couple of metro stops within walking distance. A brief guide (google map):

http://goo.gl/jNdYIJ

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Madrid's equivalent to Gracia in Barcelona ?

Thanks Revulgo for another great map. That area does strike me as similar to Gracia.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 23:28
Leeds
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Madrid's equivalent to Gracia in Barcelona ?

As a Brit whos lived in Madrid for 3 years, Ill enter the discussion with my two penny if I may.

Id say the suggestions you've received are fair, but the two cities are so different, that you wont find such a 'like for like' area. The most striking difference you will find will be the architecture. Barcelona tends to have much more positive, heritage buildings, literally all over the city with good looking facades.

In Madrid however, you will find much more simple 'red brick' buildings, as well as 60s-70s architecture, much of which is not very pretty. In BCN, Gracia has many elegant streets and great bars & cafes & eateries, and the whole thing seems to knit together and look good effortlessly. Madrid's central suburbs have the cafes etc but much less of the effortless looking good, and several of the areas and streets can be surprisingly scruffy. Madrid also seems to suffer much more from that old Spanish 'graffiti' issue, than BCN does, which also doesn't help!

Re the Lavapies suggestion, you will find this comparable to Raval area in terms of demographic and general feel,

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What is Madrid's equivalent to Gracia in Barcelona ?

Madrid and Barcelona are quite different cities in many respects. Obviously, there is not a neighborhood of Gràcia in Madrid, as there is not a Vallecas neighborhood in Barcelona. What we can do is look for a little bohemian place that is like a village within the city. This is what I think may offer Conde Duque, an island village life, a bit bohemian too and not far from the city center.

6. Re: What is Madrid's equivalent to Gracia in Barcelona ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 05:16