We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RENFE Schedules

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mills River, North...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
RENFE Schedules

I would like to travel by train from Madrid to Cordoba on 19 July. I see on the RENFE site that there are only 5 trains that day, but there are about 25 trains per day prior to 15 June. Can this really be the case, or is it because the schedule is in the process of being updated?

I was under the impression that correct schedule and best prices were not published until 62 days before departure, Is this still the case?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,409 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RENFE Schedules

RENFE operate several different types of trains. You may see the ALTARIA train which is not the AVE train that goes many times during each day between Madrid and Cordoba and Seville.

This is one thing that I find quite irksome about the manner RENFE roll out trains and fares. I feel sorry for those people who are planning travels well ahead and look for a particular day where not all trains are listed and assume that the ones shown are the ones to book. Usually by around 2 months ahead of day of travel all trains on the sector are listed. I say usually because one never quite knows if this is always the case.

The trains that you see prior to 15th June are most likely to be still running on your day of travel in July. As for best prices. I guess that when all the trains are loaded that will be about the time to check if you have a good price. However I often use the ALTARIA train and sometimes get a really good price so if that train is showing for a bargain fare then choose it over the AVE. It only takes 20 minutes longer.

Mills River, North...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: RENFE Schedules

Thanks C-L

I was concerned that I'd need to spend 6 hours waiting for train departure -- better to go by bus!

My plane lands at 7:30am. Assuming on-time arrival, whats your guess as to earliest train departure that makes sense (baggage, customs, transportation to Atocha, etc)?

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RENFE Schedules

you will need 3 hours from your landing to arriving at madrid atocha station. now looking at your train schedule for the 19th of july from madrid to cordoba, the best for you is the ave 02142 dep 14.35, arr 16.17 with promo pric of 31.05 euros. the next one is cheaper at promo price of 16.40 euros on altaria 09330 dep 15.05, arr 17.07.

now i have checked normal trains departing madrid to cordoba on a typical saturday with 70% discount. there are 19 trains for this route on a saturday and these are ave trains. however i have not been able to see any prices. for your particular date of travel, the earliest train you can take is the 11.00 train, followed by 11.35, 12.00, 12.35 (ave 02110, 02112, 02120, 02122). you may not be able to access these information. i am able to as i have a membership in renfe.

Mills River, North...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RENFE Schedules

ptgita - Thanks so much for the detailed info. Unfortunately I made an error in my date of travel -- it should be 19 June (sorry!). My "on-time" arrival in Madrid BAD is 6:20am, so after baggage claim, customs, etc I'll take the Cercanias Commuter Train to Atocha Station then hopefully the 2112 AVE train to Cordoba at 11:35am.

Enough time for this connection?

Looking at the RENFE site I see only 5 trains to Cordoba on 19 June (not the 25 trains of a few days earlier). Hopefully this will be updated as my travel date nears. Based on earlier dates of travel for this same train a Tourista (Promo) ticket is 37.25e and a Preferente (Promo) ticket is 32.30e. Not bad! Is all of this approximately the same info you find on your site?

Of course a Socibus ticket is only about 18e - but much longer travel time.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,409 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RENFE Schedules

yes the 11am train is good because the one before leaves at 10am on a Saturday morning and that's too early. Am confused by previous comment that you get a 70% discount. Normal fare on this train is currently €62.10 and with 70% off it seems that it falls to €18.63 which is so cheap I think I need this Membership in RENFE.

Ptgita Help !

Mills River, North...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RENFE Schedules

C-L: Thanks for your response.

Take a look at my last post (in answer to ptgita) and you'll see that my actual travel date is 19 June (sorry for the error). When I look at the RENFE schedule for dates up through 14 June I see that 2112AVE departs Madrid at 11:35. This will give me 4 hours from an "on-time" 6:20 plane arrival. Should be enough time, I would think.

I cannot find this train (or many others) on the 19 June schedule. Hopefully there will soon be an update. The fares for 14 June show e37.25 for Turista (Primo) on the Timetable page. A good price! Hope this will be the same for 19 June.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,737 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RENFE Schedules

Gerry:

My observation is that 62 days ahead, the full train schedule is published. Four months ahead a subsample train schedule is published. I do not know why they do not just publish the whole schedule 4 months ahead of time. This makes it confusing for consumers.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RENFE Schedules

gerry,

here are the train schedules and their cheapest prices for 19/06/2014, madrid - cordoba:

altaria 09366 08.35-10.38 32.80 euros

altaria 09218 09.05-11.09 32.80

ave 02142 14.35-16.17 xxxxx

altaria 09330 15.05-17.07 16.40

altaria 09234 17.05-19.08 27.35

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,409 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RENFE Schedules

ptgita

Your message, with respect, is a bit confusing because you do not qualify that the trains you list are only a fraction of those which are available on the day. saying "here are the train schedules ". Until all trains are listed and fares published then it is pointless to give the selection showing Altaria ones. I hope that you agree with my comment and will not take offense.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RENFE Schedules

hello cadiz lover.

greetings to you from london.

if you start your search on google and write in any ave train number (for this particular one is for madrid-cordoba ave 021242). this will bring up the website avemadridcordoba.es/horarios-ave-madridcordo… go into this website and it will mentioned train schedules for mondays to thursdays, fridays, saturdays, sundays. unfortunately it does not mention any prices, but noted the madrid-cordoba tickets come with a 70% discount. the ave trains are part of the route madrid to sevilla. accordingly there are 23 train on this route from madrid to cordoba.

hope this explains everything.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 14:52