We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover in Spain(BCN/MAD) for last week of Oct

review_my_hotel
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Stopover in Spain(BCN/MAD) for last week of Oct

Hello,

My family of 3(a couple in their late 30's and a 4yr old) is in the process of planning a trip to India with a stopover in Spain for the week of Oct 25-Nov 1st. While planning this trip and booking tickets, I'm facing a dilemma and am hoping to get some help.

- My trip to India is for the 3 weeks with a 1 week stopover in Spain Oct 1st - Nov 1st. Should I make the stopover on my way to Asia on on the way back. I picked the way back because the time difference between Asia and Europe is 3hrs and with our 4yr old jetlag won't be an issue. However, I'm wondering about weather in Spain that late in the year. From reading the forum I understand that it can be hit or miss. I'd really appreciate some suggestions to ease this Dilemma.

- We have 2 big holidays in Oct(4th and 24th) and I'd like to be in India for those holidays.

- I'm also hoping that I could get an itinerary for our stay in Spain. We typically like to walk the area/try the cuisine and have a balance so our 4.5yr old child doesn't get too tired or bored. If the weather co-operates we would like to go to the beach for a day but, a city vacation would be great too. This is our first time in spain and we'd like to try to hit the must see places in Madrid/Barcelona.

Here is what I was considering for a itinerary.

Leave SFO on Oct 1st fly directly to India. Leave india on 25th Oct to Madrid, Leave Barcelone on Nov 1st/2nd which gives us a week in Spain. Please help and sorry my post is so long.

Thank you!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,566 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover in Spain(BCN/MAD) for last week of Oct

review:

For central and southern Spain, the weather is still usually good in October. In northwest Spain, the weather will be bad.

With one week only, I would recommend 4 days in Madrid and 3 days in Barcelona.

You can take the AVE between the two cities:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

review_my_hotel
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover in Spain(BCN/MAD) for last week of Oct

Thank you Benny! It is reassuring to hear that about the weather.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover in Spain(BCN/MAD) for last week of Oct

If you can change your dates to departure a bit earlier and be in Barcelona during the festival of La Merce (Sep 20-24) you will not regret.

If your dates are set, last week of October weather may be a bit or miss, but usually still quite nice (at least in Barcelona, Madrid will most likely be colder, but probably sunny). Dividing time depends on what you want to do, but I'm biased and even I love both cities I would allocate more time to Barcelona than to Madrid. Anyway, you could easily spend a whole week in each one without getting bored so it's really up to you. 3 days on each with 1 day in Zaragoza in between may be a good option too, and you get to see a very interesting city most tourists do miss.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover in Spain(BCN/MAD) for last week of Oct

I like the idea of Zaragoza. A visit to El Tubo is always nice :)

review_my_hotel
Level Contributor
129 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover in Spain(BCN/MAD) for last week of Oct

I could probably travel such that I'm in Spain end of Sept but, that'll mean I'll stopover on my way to India rather than on the way back. My son will be 4.5 by then and I'm not sure how he'll do with jetlag. Other than that, it's totally something I'm considering. I haven't heard of Zaragoza but, l will do my research. Could you shed some light as well?

6. Re: Stopover in Spain(BCN/MAD) for last week of Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 05:15