We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid hotel location

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
111 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid hotel location

We are planning a trip in September and would like a recommendation on best area to choose for selecting a hotel. We want to be close to transportation and proximity to most viewed sights.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,737 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid hotel location

bjbChicago:

Use Venere.com and screen for hotels on the Gran Via. This is downtown and you can walk to many sights from this street, which also has many stores and restaurants.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid hotel location

Personally I don't like the area near the Gran Via and prefer to be nearer the Plaza Santa Ana and in and around Cortes. It's too much traffic for me but this is very much a personal issue of mine. Many people love the Gran Via.

Ludhiana, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid hotel location

Dear wombat1223,

I am hoping you could help me, since you are the first person on this forum who has recommended staying away from Gran Via.

I don't want to stay in a very crowded area near Gran Via. Want to see the more pleasant and spanish side of Madrid with easy access to centre of of Madrid through Metro. Also, I am assuming the Hotels would be newer and cheaper outside this area. And hopefully, we would meet more locals than tourists.

It's hard for me to describe exactly what I want - but if you have been to Barcelona, I don't like staying in the crowded Gothic area - instead El Born and Passeig de gracia areas are more pleasant and have the hustle bustle of locals rather than tourists.

So, please let me know which area to stay in. Our budget is around 70-100 Euro per night. We are a young couple in late 20s. Thanks in advance

St.Julians-Malta
Level Contributor
816 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid hotel location

Dear Friend

I had the same problem as next month we are also going to spend one week in Madrid.I done lot of searching. But the most important thing on holiday is that you be centrally located .By this one will save a fortune on paying for transport. As I did for the last 4 years I search with www.travelrepublic.co.uk and in my opinion I have grabed a great bargain price for this hotel http://www.bestwestern.es/hotel-mayorazgo/

Now we are only few days away and I cant wait for this Holiday in this Wonderful City .

Edited: 23 April 2014, 06:28
Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid hotel location

You may prefer Benny's favorite area, Salamanca then as a place to stay. It's considerably more residential. However there isn't much of a night life. Another option is, given your age, Malasaña. This is not the Barri Gotic, but kind of the artist/hip area of Madrid. La Latina is also an option as many people live there and it is a real neighborhood especially around the Tirso de Molina area. Lastly, Lavapies might also appeal. It's an immigrant neighborhood but it has considerable charm (in my opinion) and lots of interesting places to see and walk to. With your budget you can easily find a hostal (not a hostel which caters to back packers etc, but a hostal which is a small, privately owned hotel) in any of these places.

If you want to meet locals though you need to speak Spanish. Many Spaniards speak some English, but believe me, you'll stand out as North American no matter where you choose to stay! LOL!

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid hotel location

the salamanca area is too quiet as mentioned by wombat 1223. gran via is very noisy and also expensive. i would seriously consider malasana or chueca north of gran via. i will also look at areas south of gran via like la latina, lavapies and tirso de molino. these are areas where the madrilenos live. you will not see many, many tourists around these areas with the exception of maybe la latina. in all these areas you will have a chance to mingle with the locals and see how they live.

i have the opportunity to visit or stay in all these areas on my very frequent visits to madrid, and as mentioned by wombat1223 you need to speak spanish. i am very fortunate to pick up spanish from my numerous spanish friends and i feel very at home in all these areas.

7. Re: Madrid hotel location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:16