We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Studying in Spain for one month - Madrid or Barcelona?

Stockholm, Sweden
3 posts
Save Topic
Studying in Spain for one month - Madrid or Barcelona?

I will be taking a Spanish course over one month in June, but I can't decide whether to go to

Madrid or Barcelona. Both seem like great cities, but at the moment I'm leaning slightly towards Madrid since it's a bigger city, but also because of the Catalan language in Barcelona. While learning Spanish is important for me, so is having fun.

So, which city would you recommend for a student? Please take into consideration that I will be staying there for a month.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Studying in Spain for one month - Madrid or Barcelona?

Both are great for staying as a student, but have you even considered other options like Granada or Seville? Especially if you have to pay the rent even for one month both Madrid and Barcelona are very expensive (at least by spanish standards), while Granada and Seville are considerably cheaper and offer the similar amenities (as regards to having fun too) despite the smaller size. Salamanca is also a good bet, especially if you are a beginner in Spanish, since locals seem to have an accent that is easyer for us foreigners to understand than people from Madrid and, especially, people from Andalucia

Mentioned in this post
Granada
Granada
Province of Granada, Spain
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Salamanca
Salamanca
Province of Salamanca, Spain
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,464 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Studying in Spain for one month - Madrid or Barcelona?

Tersjo:

I would choose Madrid over Barcelona for studying Spanish.

You could also come to Malaga.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c88501/Malaga…

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Studying in Spain for one month - Madrid or Barcelona?

Madrid has no beaches ;-)

Barcelona being a bilingual environment may be not ideal for absolute beginners, but many people come here and learn Spanish, having a great time too.

Anyway, as others said, to learn a language I would probably choose somehwere smaller where you go to really practice with the locals. The less touristy the better. Any university town will be still lively in June and with as much fun you can handle, Spanish students know how to party! Maybe Malaga, Oviedo, Zaragoza...

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Barcelona
Barcelona
Malaga
Malaga
Costa del Sol, Spain
Oviedo
Oviedo
Asturias, Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
Province of Zaragoza, Spain
Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Studying in Spain for one month - Madrid or Barcelona?

My husband is a professor in a US university and they do not give credit to Spanish programs in Barcelona because by and large while people are Spanish speaking there it is not considered to be a Spanish speaking city. And while I would adore living in Barcelona for a month (who wouldn't?) I'd suggest a city where Spanish is the primary language rather than the second language for most people. That said, Seville, Valencia, and Madrid are all good picks. And given the cost of Madrid, perhaps you'll want to think about other cities in other areas.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Seville
Seville
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Studying in Spain for one month - Madrid or Barcelona?

maybe think about salamanca, a fairly small university town as compared to madrid or barcelona. this is a town with the second oldest university in europe with a population of around 75,000 plus a student population of 35,000. there are many, many language schools here and also a very lively place for students.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Studying in Spain for one month - Madrid or Barcelona?

I just wondered if you had had much luck in your decision or research as I am planning the exact same thing a trip to Span for one month and want to do a begginers spanish course. I want somewhere that is a city that I would love to get to know and has a good night life but also has the option of a beach. The comment about it not being recognised in a US university is interesting too?

Anyway best of luck and let me know what you decide I am torn with the same decision!

Natalie

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Studying in Spain for one month - Madrid or Barcelona?

to have fun, barcelona. to learn proper spanish, madrid. but best of all, salamanca. as the young spanish uses it all the time, "GUAY".

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Studying in Spain for one month - Madrid or Barcelona?

Salamanca, hands down. Small town, student population, a stone's throw away from Madrid, Toledo, Leon, Segovia, Avila, Galicia and loads of other places to see.. Good party town too, and you will have loads of opportunities to practice your Spanish

Mentioned in this post
Salamanca
Salamanca
Madrid
Madrid
Toledo
Toledo
Province of Toledo, Spain
Leon
Leon
Province of Leon, Spain
Segovia
Segovia
Province of Segovia, Spain
Avila
Avila
Province of Avila, Spain
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
570 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Studying in Spain for one month - Madrid or Barcelona?

Valencia, Madrid, and Salamanca would be my choices in that order. Valencia is a beautiful city & has beaches nearby. I would stay away from Andalucia because some of the natives there don't completely pronounce many words & might be difficult for a beginner to understand.

Mentioned in this post
Valencia
Valencia
Province of Valencia, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Salamanca
Salamanca
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Studying in Spain for one month - Madrid or Barcelona?

I have also been recommended Seville does anyone else recommend this or ahva e view about learning spanish there?

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville