We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for train from Madrid to Toledo

Ger
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for train from Madrid to Toledo

On 23rd May (Friday), i plan to make a day trip to Toledo from Madrid.

Is it ok to buy the ticket on the spot?

How much will it cost?

Thanks in advanced

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for train from Madrid to Toledo

there are numerous trains (at least 15 trains) to toledo. return ticket costs 20.30 euros, trip time 33 minutes. buy your ticket on the spot

Ger
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for train from Madrid to Toledo

thanks.

Is there a link where i can check the connections?

Winter Park...
Level Contributor
540 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for train from Madrid to Toledo

renfe.com is your friend......

note the train station in toledo requires a bus, or super long uphill walk to reach the cathedral & cool parts of town.

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for train from Madrid to Toledo

Will it be cheaper to buy online?

Are there family discounted tickets (2 adults + 1 child)?

Winter Park...
Level Contributor
540 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for train from Madrid to Toledo

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c107037/Madri…

the tickets may/may not have like a 2 euro disco on line. but then you lock yourself into times leaving madrid, leaving toledo. When I have day tripped or overnoghted there, the only time I pre bought tix was if I was going to Toledo during afternoon rush hour, or leaving for Madrid prior to 9am.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for train from Madrid to Toledo

There are no discount for the short trip. The only discount is the 20% off when you buy a return ticket. When you arrive at toledo train station, you can either walk or take the bus. It is not a long walk.

No it is not cheaper on-line unless you have one of the renfe discount cards. The family discount is valid only for spanish large family unit who has certificate from their local authority.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for train from Madrid to Toledo

x88a,

here is the website that will show you the timetable.

www.renfe.com/viajeros/‎

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for train from Madrid to Toledo

Sorry, forget to mention children under 4 with adult travel for free. Child under 14, 40% discount.

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for train from Madrid to Toledo

"but then you lock yourself into times leaving madrid, leaving toledo." - fair enough :) this is why I don't like to buy train tickets up front..... but for long trips (like Segovia or Sevilla), is it really beneficial to buy tickets up front online? or I just can come to Atocha Station let's say on Monday and buy discounted tickets for next Monday?

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for train from Madrid to Toledo

segovia is not a long trip, it is a shorter trip than toledo.

right now the cheapest ticket on-line in the weekdays is the first train from madrid to sevilla at discounted promo fare of 26.25 euros. this price is not going to get any cheaper. so if you find a discounted like this i will go ahead and book on-line. the regular fare is usually 75.50 euros. but remember not all prices are the same everyday, this depend on supply and demand.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 22:49