We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tree pollen season

Level Contributor
462 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tree pollen season

guys

Does anybody have an idea when the tree pollen season in Madrid ceases or ends? I'm from the NorthEast US where it usually finishes in a week while the grass pollen continues but I'm not sure about Spain

Thanks

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,674 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tree pollen season

world:

I was just in Madrid for two weeks and it was very hot and there was plenty of pollen, so I had to take antihistamines all the time. By the end of the month the problem should be decreased.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tree pollen season

The pollens are quite different in Spain than in the US. I do not have allergies to pollen in the US, but found I did have an allergy to olive and almond tree pollen while in Spain. So you could be fine and you could not be fine. Plan to have some allergy medication and be happy if you don't need it.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tree pollen season

Wombat is right, not only the calendar peaks are different, but the types of pollen. In Madrid's area the most frequent allergenic tree pollen is olive and it's pollen season mostly coincide with grass pollen season. However, in the city there are many other trees and plants (local and imported) that may have different pollinization season. Plus, do not forget you might have crossed sensitivities.

Here you have the official data of the most frequent pollens in Madrid and total amount of pollen, per year calendar weeks. The site is in Spanish but the charts are self-explanatory: http://tinyurl.com/oroabke

If you can plan your visit at any time, in your case I would choose Autumm, you will be 'safer' plus it is a lovely season to enjoy Madrid. But in any case, follow the advice above, bring your meds, and be happy if you don't need them.

Buen viaje!

Level Contributor
462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tree pollen season

Are Oak and Birch dominant in cities like Madrid and Barcelona or not?

Thx

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,674 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tree pollen season

world:

There are many oak trees in the surrounding area of Madrid. I have not seen many birch trees.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tree pollen season

As Benny said, thee are oak trees in the surroundings of Madrid, as well in the mountains near Barcelona. Birch are not 'dominant' in either city, but for instance there is a small park full of birch trees next to where I live in Barcelona.

7. Re: Tree pollen season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:23