We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Madrid to San Sebastian- Help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Madrid to San Sebastian- Help!

Hello,

On June 29th (sunday) I am taking the train to San Sebastian from Madrid and then back again to Madrid from San Sebastian on July 2nd. We have been on the Renfe site in English (horrible) and Spanish (not much better...and my travelmate is fluent) and we can't seem to find trains that don't force us to get off and switch trains. Is that accurate? And there doesn't seem to be trains back later in the day on the 2nd. True? The website is so confusing. Are we better off waiting until we get to Spain and having the hotel concierge help us?

Much appreciated if anyone understands the train schedule from Madrid to San Sebastian.

Thank you!

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,396 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Madrid to San Sebastian- Help!

for your trip on 29/06 from madrid to san sebastian. there are 3 trains for this day with only one direct train. however i would not let it bother me. the first 2 trains you will have to transfer at zaragoza-delicias with approximately 30 minutes to spare (which is plenty of time). these 2 trains have discounted promo fares of 42.40 and 49.00 euros respectively. then there is the direct train in the late afternoon at 47.60 euros each way based on a return (round trip).

there is only 1 train coming back from san sebastian, again with transfer at zaragoza-delicias. discounted promo price of 49.50 euros.

with the discounted tickets it is not going to get any cheaper. if you wait the discounted fares might be sold out. if you are firm on your dates, you should buy your tickets now.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,241 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Madrid to San Sebastian- Help!

You can fly www.vueling.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Madrid to San Sebastian- Help!

Thank you, very helpful!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,212 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Madrid to San Sebastian- Help!

nj:

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,396 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Madrid to San Sebastian- Help!

i don't thing you want to fly vueling from madrid to san sebastian. for the dates you mentioned the cheapest return flight costs 270 euros and i don't think you want to fly from madrid to barcelona to san sebastian with a layover of more than 7 hours in barcelona. the same layover coming back from san sebastian.

Boston...
Level Contributor
35 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Madrid to San Sebastian- Help!

Iberia has flights back direct from San Sebastian to Madrid for $266 one way. I think we might take the train to San Sebastian and fly it back. Clearly more costly, but we need to ensure we get back on the 2nd since we fly back to the state early on the 3rd. Thanks!

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
325 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Madrid to San Sebastian- Help!

Another posiblilty is hiring a guidetour into Castilla from SS. with final destination Madrid. You see the countryside and stop while traveling at some interesting restaurants near Ribera de Duero wine region, enjoy a proper castillian backed Lamb and insted of 4 hours later your trip last 9 joyfull hours!!

8. Re: Train from Madrid to San Sebastian- Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:16