We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Review of the National Archaeological Museum

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Topic
My Review of the National Archaeological Museum

The National Archaeological Museum reopened on April 1, 2014, after three years of being closed because of remodeling. The architect who remodeled the museum was Juan Pablo Rodríguez Frade. He has won prizes for remodeling other museums in Spain and has the most experience in this. One of his works is the new Medina Azahara Museum in Cordoba. The display area has been increased from 7000 to 9000 square meters. The entrance to the museum is now from the ground floor of the south wing. The museum is now a stunning new museum that is world-class.

Travertine stone has been used for the floors, which are now radiant. The display cabinets and false ceilings are made of a dark wood called Merbau, from New Guinea, which also absorb noise. There are excellent explanations for every cabinet in both Spanish and English. The ground floor is dedicated to Prehistory and has a recreation of the burial of a man. The first floor is dedicated to the Iberian world starting from the first historic age, continuing to the Roman age and medieval age that includes the Arab Kingdom of Al-Andalus. This includes two beautiful Mudejar ceilings. The second floor includes the medieval age of the Christian kingdoms with plenty of religious art, and the modern age. This floor also has the excellent Greek and Egyptian collections.

If one sees all the exhibits (there are 40 large salons), one will walk a distance of 3 kilometers and the visit will take about 3.5 hours! There are exhibits designed for the blind which one can touch. Sala 13 contains the sculptures of La Dama de Elche and La Dama de Baza. The Pozo Moro Sepulcher, the Crown of Recesvinto (pertaining to the Treasure of Guarrazar), the Bote de Zamora, the Toro de Osuna, the statue of Livia, and the Constanza de Castilla Sepulcher are other highlights of the museum. There is a new cafeteria and a new museum store. The patio has some exhibits and is full of light.

So now Madrid has the Prado Museum, Thyssen Museum, Reina Sofia Museum and the National Archaeological Museum that are must-see sights. Sunday mornings are free at this museum, but it is recommended to go another day to avoid the very large crowds on that day.

NJ
Level Contributor
165 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Review of the National Archaeological Museum

Thank you for the update. You always provide useful and current information. I am looking forward to seeing this museum when I return to Madrid.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
88 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Review of the National Archaeological Museum

Thanks for your information. We were making a list of thing to see and do in Madrid, this will definitely be on the list.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Review of the National Archaeological Museum

Thanks Benny! I look forward to visiting this museum as soon as I can get back to Madrid. I hope it will be soon! Any updates on the royal collection museum they started to build near the Royal Palace?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
18 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Review of the National Archaeological Museum

Thank you for sharing! It is very curious and inspiring for a visit! I will share this info with our visitors.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Review of the National Archaeological Museum

Hilldale:

Here is some news yet of the new museum they are building at the Royal Palace. The new museum will open in 2016:

http://madridiario.es/noticia/203739

Some photos of the work in progress:

espormadrid.es/2010/02/el-futuro-museo-de-la…

It says that it will have an area of 40,500 square meters! That will be gigantic! I cannot wait to see it finished!

With that museum, few cities in the world will be able to compare with the art that Madrid has!

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Review of the National Archaeological Museum

Thank you, Benny. La Dama del Elche is a favorite. Happy to be able to see it again in new surroundings.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Review of the National Archaeological Museum

Holakjs:

I enjoyed seeing the Dama de Elche again. This work of art is still mysterious, but I love her gaze!

8. Re: My Review of the National Archaeological Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 06:18