We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused, Eurail Pass or Renfe Train Pass

8 posts
Save Topic
Confused, Eurail Pass or Renfe Train Pass

I have 4 days of train trips during 14 days in Spain, leaving US on 6/3/14.

1. Madrid to Granada 2. Granada to Cordova 3. Cordova to Seville 4. Seville to Barcelona

Will you please help me as to what kind of pass I should buy. Also, can I buy either one when I get to Madrid from US? We are 1 adult and 1 senior. Thank you in advance.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,898 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused, Eurail Pass or Renfe Train Pass

Don't overlook bus transport which is popular also in Spain. For example the route Madrid down to Granada can be done in same amount of time as compared to the train at quite reasonable costs. Look up the details on:

https://www.alsa.es/en

You could also use that same bus web for Granada to Cordoba.

The train from Madrid to Granada passes through Cordoba on its long route around to Granada. If you wanted trains then Madrid to Cordoba first then to Granada then to Seville and finally Seville to Madrid is also good. All can be done by bus or train.

As far as the trains are concerned you can obtain instant discounts by buying a Senior card for €6 and better to read about this on :

renfe.com/EN/…tarjeta_dorada.html

You can buy this card once you are in Madrid at the same time as you are making other ticket purchases.

To compare prices with Passes you need to decide on your route then take a look at fares. The most expensive leg could be Seville to Barcelona so determine your probably date of travel and look up the cost. Normal full fare is about €110 I think and if you use the Tarjeta Dorada on a Monday thru Thursday it would save 40% off the full fare. It appears that you are travelling very soon so advance fares discounts will not be available in all likelihood

The RENFE Spanish rail pass covering 4 journeys within a period of one month for current price of €163 for the standard seating could be a good purchase bearing in mind that you will have a fixed price for the 4 legs. The pass can be bought on line and seats booked in advance or you can do all this once in Madrid at a Renfe desk or travel agent. Seats on these trains will need to be reserved and tickets issued.

renfe.com/EN/…precios.html

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused, Eurail Pass or Renfe Train Pass

first of all to answer your question whether to get eurail pass or the renfe spain pass. you can forget about the eurail pass. the eurail pass for spain costs as a minimum 180 euros for 3 days. it is too expensive for your trip.

i will ggo for the spain pass. the spain pass costs 163 euros for 4 journeys for 1 month for second class. however this all depends on the dates you want to make the train trips. if you give me the dates of your proposed trips, i might be able to make a recommendation whether you should buy the 4 journeys ticket or buy them individually. i have done a test run of the cheapest possible tickets on the 4 trips you mentioned and i have come up with a total price of 116.90 euros based on the following dates of 10/06, 12/06, 14/06 and 17/06 respectively.

the tarjeta dorada with the discount is still more expensive than the promotion fares.

i would also recommend that you use the train rather than the bus journey. the trains in spain are clean, fast and comfortable.

hope this helps with your planning.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 10:08
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,898 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused, Eurail Pass or Renfe Train Pass

ptgita

The Seville to Barcelona leg is likely to cost most I think. I can only find a cheap ticket on the excruciatingly long journey using the Talgo. The AVE fares seem to indicate around €90 or more on your example date. The other 3 fares can reach as low as about €90 give or take.

Think as travel is very soon buying the Spain pass and getting tickets at Madrid sounds like a good idea to me.

And importantly getting the Alhambra tickets online as soon as the dates for Granada are fixed.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187441-c77529/Granad…

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused, Eurail Pass or Renfe Train Pass

cadiz_lover,

here is the price from renfe website for the date 17/06 from sevilla-barcelona with promotion fares:

Ver prestaciones del tren:Se abre nueva ventana TALGO 00694

08.35 20.05 11 h. 30 min. Clase Turista

37,75 Promo:

Eleccion de asiento - No

Cambios - No

Anulaciones - No

40,90 Promo +:

Elección de asiento - Sí

Cambios 20%

Anulaciones 30%

62,90 Flexible:

Cambios 0%

Anulaciones 5%

Clase Turista Plus

37,75 Promo:

Eleccion de asiento - No

Cambios - No

Anulaciones - No

41,55 Promo +:

Elección de asiento - Sí

Cambios 20%

Anulaciones 30%

75,50 Flexible:

Cambios 0%

Anulaciones 5%

Clase Preferente

81,70 Flexible:

Cambios 0%

Anulaciones 5%

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused, Eurail Pass or Renfe Train Pass

cadiz_lover,

i am only showing the cheapest possible trip, for this particular one the journey time os over 11 hours.

the ave 03945 is the fast train, costs 84 euros in the turista plus., same price as the tarjeta dorada.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused, Eurail Pass or Renfe Train Pass

cadiz_lover,

madrid-granada 10/06 altaria 09218 41.05 euros.

granada-cordoba 12/06 altaria 09237 21.65 euros

cordoba-sevilla 14/06 md 13079 or md 13020 13.30 euros.

i think i got the data right. these fares are all promotional fares.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 11:19
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,898 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused, Eurail Pass or Renfe Train Pass

The thing about Spanish trains is that you have a variety of types and some are better than others especially if looking at journey times etc. Just looking at the cheapest seats may not suit our original poster who wants to decide between passes and where/when to buy them. Certainly I would not personally take the Talgo train Seville to Barcelona for example.

Think the RENFE 4 leg in 30 day pass meets the bill here and so the question is when to buy. With some time in Madrid it can all be done either at Renfe ticket desks or at travel agents.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused, Eurail Pass or Renfe Train Pass

setsuko t,

based on the faster trip from sevilla to barcelona, the spain pass will cost more or less the same as the individually price tickets, with the exception as with the spain pass, you must reserved a seat, no refund after the first journey.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,117 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused, Eurail Pass or Renfe Train Pass

setsuko:

I would forget about the pass because you will probably not save money and the calculations may drive you mad. Just buy ordinary tickets.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,898 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused, Eurail Pass or Renfe Train Pass

Benny

Your involvement in this thread is welcomed as you have been the compiler for many years of the guide to buying RENFE tickets on Trip Advisor. As a resident of Malaga I do not believe that you are allowed yourself to buy a Renfe pass as this is only allowed for non Spanish residents.

I looked at this as simply as I could. The Renfe pass does offer a simple way of buying 4 journeys within a month and as far as I could see would suit this particular travel. It being imminent as well as most likely to be actually cost saving in some small way. I am aware that the train from Seville to Barcelona can be quite costly and especially buying a seat at short notice. Am thinking it is €116.60 on the AVE (Turista basic comfortable seat) as I would not opt for the very slow stopping train. So that leaves €52.40 left over from the actual 4 journey pass cost of €163.

Now I know that the cost of the other 3 legs is going to exceed this amount.

So all depends on the convenience of the ticket purchasing for each individual. With a Renfe pass once you buy seats for the first leg you can then buy other seats as you proceed during the trip. Same as buying individual seats/tickets except with the pass you already paid once and it just gets deducted from the number of legs left.