We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Days in Madrid

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Three Days in Madrid

Hello - I will be spending 3 days in Madrid in July with my family (including 3 teenagers). Should I focus just on Madrid or would a day trip to somewhere be worthwhile? Any suggestions whether in Madrid or out?

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Days in Madrid

take a day trip to either toledo or segovia.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Days in Madrid

Madrid itself has more than enough to fill 3 days, but if you want to see more places, Toledo would be a good choice.

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Days in Madrid

I agree with others that you can easily spend 3 marvelous days just enjoying Madrid. (If your kids like Age of Exploration history the boats, cannon, swords and guns at the Naval museum near the Prado museum are well liked and only 3€/person donation to get in.) Hit the Bornemisza museum for free on Mondays and the National Archeology museum for free on weekends. You can also take the cable car tram, see the zoo, or go to the amusement park. Always popular shows (like Lion King) playing in the theater district on Gran Via or opera at the Teatro Real. You can try great places for the famous Madrid stew (Cocido Madrileno) at Cafe de Chinitas near the Opera (and also watch Flamenco dancers while you eat) or Doña Juana (near Callao station). Bull fights are on Sundays.

But I also agree that day trips to Segovía, Toledo or Ávila are also very doable and fun. Toledo is the closest of the three. The cathedral there I like better than Madrid's Almudena (though it is also beautiful), and there are El Greco exhibits thru the whole city this year to celebrate his 500th birthday. Teenagers often like all the sword shops there, too. To take a direct bus to Toledo from Plaza Eliptica will be about 9,xx€ per person for a round trip, 50 min each way, leaving every hour. A Renfe speed train from Atocha station is over 20€ round trip and is 30-minutes each way. Train station is a little further from the city than the bus line, but either are a walkable distance.

The Roman aqueduct and castle in Segovía are also crowd pleasers. It is about 1.5X as far from Madrid as Toledo. Bus drops off right in town; the train doesn't. It's a little far for walking, given you'd rather spend the time looking at things, likely. Busses and trains depart from different stations than for Toledo (Principe Pio and Chamartin, respectively.)

Ávila's walls are also popular with kids. You can walk on the tops of the walls around the city, which is cool and inexpensive. Avila is about as far away as Segovia (90 min). The bus drops you off a few minutes walk from the outer walls.

Edited: 04 June 2014, 20:23
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Days in Madrid

Thanks so much for responses! Very informative Bryan J - I will look closely at all of your recommendations!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Days in Madrid

Thinking of a flamenco show in Madrid on our first day after arriving in Madrid. I am staying in Calle de Toledo area (is that an area!?) so something not too far away would be best. Ive seen posts that food included with shows isn't that great and we are better to eat separate and then go to a show? Corral de la Moreria has been mentioned as being good. Has anyone any up to date recommendations?

los alcazares
Level Contributor
498 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Days in Madrid

I think like other people have told you Toledo is a very nice place to visit, there are lots of shops selling swords and cutlery. I have not been to Segovia or Avila, but they are places I am planning to visit in the future. Can't help with your Flamenco show, sorry. But like others have said you will easily fill three days in Madrid. One thing that is worth a visit, if only for the Jamon and a inexpensive lunch is the Museo de Jamon. Its not a museum, its a bar with lots of Jamons on display.. I have been to Madrid more times than I can remember and always go for plate of Jamon. Its located between Puerto del Sol and Plaza Mayor. Also not far from there, there are a Few Bars/ called 100 Montiditos. A montiditos is a small bread roll with a choice of various fillings 1 euro each, or you can buy a mixture of I think its 7 and this works out less than a euro each. and if you are feeling thirsty in the July heat sometimes the have beer on offer for 1 euro a half llitr.

I am going to Madrid in September staying either end of my holiday to Greece and I visit the above places again.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,284 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Days in Madrid

Lisa:

You can read about the day trips to Toledo and Segovia on the top questions on the right panel.

8. Re: Three Days in Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:16