We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puente de Vallecas safety

Mexico City, Mexico
11 posts
Save Topic
Puente de Vallecas safety

Hello I am getting a room in puente de Vallecas and was wondering if the area is safe, thanks

Carlos

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puente de Vallecas safety

I would say always known as a little rough around the edges, but I would wait for a Madrid local on this one. I may a DE but this is an area where tourists really don't patronize.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puente de Vallecas safety

maybe revulgo can tell us something about puente de vallecas. it is certainly a long way from tourist areas. i gather it used to be a slum. but again i don't know much about the area.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,180 posts
3,579 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puente de Vallecas safety

Carlos:

I was recently in Madrid for two weeks and one day I asked the taxi driver what area to avoid for safety reasons. He told us not to go to Vallecas.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puente de Vallecas safety

puente de vallecas is considered to be one of the most dangerous areas in madrid with latin gang problems.

are you just visiting with friends in the area or are you planning to live there. there are better places to rent a room.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puente de Vallecas safety

Vallecas is a very big neighborhood of Madrid, so you have a bit of everything. There are some areas that are conflictive and a drug buying point. But other than that it is a perfectly ok working class neighborhood, I would say very safe at daytime and safe taking the regular precautions at night. I wouldn't live there because it is too far away from the center. What would be the reason to live in there?

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puente de Vallecas safety

my screen123,

hi, this is a place where the police do not want to go into because of gang problems and also of drugs. yes, i realize it is a very big and old neigbourhood with many, many spanish and immigrants who come to live in madrid in the old days. things are better now, but this barrio reminds me of some of the dangerous areas in london where territorial disputes over drugs are common. i certainly would have no reason to live in thoses areas. you could lost your live by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

New York
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puente de Vallecas safety

Hi, can you tell how far Vallecas stadium from Salamanca? Is it sefe to go the to watch the game?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puente de Vallecas safety

Metro guide says it's a half hour right to Vallecas from Salamanca. I wonder if Vallecas is sort of like Harlem. It used to horrible as all of NYC was. Now Harlem is better, from what I understand. The Vallecas reputation goes back 50 years for me. It may have improved, but it seems like posters still believe the reputation of the old days.. Wonder what a local like Revulgo says? My screen's take is what I would guess it would be if Vallecas has changed...and I believe he was a Madrid local until fairly recently.

Edited: 08 September 2014, 02:08
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puente de Vallecas safety

Hi Holakjs :)

I ve never been a madrid local but my wife is a born and raised madrileña and we go very often to visit her family (5 or 6 times per year). My wife's mother lives in Rivas so it is kind of close to Vallecas, and I go there from time to time (more to the PAU area than to the Puente de Vallecas area, because we have some friends living there, but still)

As for seeing a Rayo Vallecano game, metro station is Portazgo, line 1. The stadium is just outside the metro station, and I would say it is safe to go and watch a game in there.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puente de Vallecas safety

i would love to hear from revulgo and see what he has to say. i was told recently by locals that there are two barrios to avoid especially at night, and that is coslada and puente de vallecas due to drug problems. but of course not all the neighbourhoods in these 2 areas are considered to be dangerous. and these are not areas that tourists go to visit, maybe for the local football matches.