We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Granada to Toledo via Madrid in one day

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Train Granada to Toledo via Madrid in one day

I will be travelling from Granada to Toledo via Madrid by train in September. It appears that I will arrive at Madrid Puerta De Atocha station at 1.35pm. The departure times for the Toledo trains are1.50pm and 2.50pm. If I book the earlier departure this only allows 15 minutes to get from one train to the next - assuming the Madrid arrival is on time. Can anyone tell me if it will be cutting it too close or be too much of a rush to catch the 1.50pm train? I will be carrying luggage. Many thanks.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Granada to Toledo via Madrid in one day

You will be cutting it short. I have checked your train trip, and renfe arranges your transfer in chamartin to toledo at 14.50 hr for the simple reason you will probably not make the connection, even though there is a train for toledo at 13.50 hr.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,167 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Granada to Toledo via Madrid in one day

Out of interest I just looked at the current arrivals board for Atocha and the Granada train is estimated to arrive at 13.44 - so today that train looks like being 9 minutes late. This train is an Altaria via Cordoba and does not have quite the same punctuality as the mainline AVE high speed services. So my hunch is that your connection is too short really however if you arrive on time and you can find the Toledo train having booked the 2.50 you could always ask the attendant at the correct Toledo platform if you could switch. But I don't think you have enough time to do this in practice. The Toledo train will leave on time ! At Atocha you can always enjoy a spot of lunch before continuing?

If you really want to leave early from Granada and get to Atocha before that time I think on most days you can take the Media Distancia train Granada to Antequera Santa Ana station which is on the Malaga to Madrid high speed line and get to Madrid before noon. The Santa Ana station is modern and if the wait is not long then it can be a viable alternative. Am unsure if times are yet published for this choice but suspect that the cost of the fare may be more than booking an Altaria train..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Granada to Toledo via Madrid in one day

Cadiz _lover I didn't realise there are two fast trains from granada to Madrid. I think I was looking at the Altaria and not the ave as I was doing a little bit of forward thinking about the logistics of the travel that day and not actually booking yet.

Thanks for your advice also ptgita. I'd rather do the leisurely lunch than the run through the station.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,167 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Granada to Toledo via Madrid in one day

Yes the ALTARIA goes through Cordoba on its way up to Madrid. Serving Granada are also Media Distancia trains which go to places like Seville and Ronda. As I mentioned it is possible to take the early MD train and change at Antequera Santa Ana station to then take a fast train to Madrid which comes up from Malaga. But all depends on comfort and price and whether to wish to change etc etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Granada to Toledo via Madrid in one day

Thanks Cadiz_lover. That sounds like a good option. Will check the timetables when they are available for September.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Granada to Toledo via Madrid in one day

you can always take the early train to get to atocha,

99250 MD-AVE = dep 06.45, arr 10.40, trip duration - 3 h. 55 min.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,716 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Granada to Toledo via Madrid in one day

family:

You will be cutting it short. When you arrive at Atocha, you arrive at the new terminal, which is a 15 minute walk to the old terminal, and the departure area for Toledo is found on the ground floor. It may take you more minutes to find it.

8. Re: Train Granada to Toledo via Madrid in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 06:17