We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from London to Madrid in September

5 posts
Save Topic
Flights from London to Madrid in September

I'm planning to go to Madrid at the start of September to stay with a couple of Spanish friends. I have stayed with them before.

I've been looking at a return from Gatwick to Madrid and I could book flights with Easyjet just now for about £70-85 depending on which times I choose to fly.

I wanted to ask how much the price of the flights is likely to rise between now and the middle of August. I could book right now but it is not 100% that my friends will be in Madrid at that point and my trip depends on them being there (it is, however, almost certain that they will be).

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,193 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from London to Madrid in September

if you are firm on your date, book now. i fly to madrid from gatwick quite regularly. the prices as the flights get closer were higher as the dates of my flights approached. i have bought tickets from the low 35's to more than £100 on short notice on single flight. and as much as £170 return on late booking.

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from London to Madrid in September

Thank you for the advice. I am definite on when I want to go (start of September) and I have discussed the dates with my friends so that's all sorted.

It's just that it isn't 100% certain that my friends will be there yet and if they aren't there I won't be using the flights. I was tempted to book right now while the prices are cheap as it's pretty certain my friends will be there but it's still a small gamble as I know I wouldn't be able to get a refund on flights and changing the dates of both flights is expensive and not really worthwhile.

I don't mind paying even something like £150. I just don't want to end up paying as much as £200. I'm hoping that the start of September won't be so bad for prices when compared to July/August. I am purposely avoiding July/August because I know that they are the hottest months (I know September will still be hot but I don't mind it being hot, just not extremely hot).

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from London to Madrid in September

I think you have more options than just Easyjet. So you have more flexibility in choice of airline and therefore prices. Norwegian Air have schedule services to Madrid from Gatwick. as does Air Europa. Ryanair from Stansted which is usually cheaper and they have 4 flights a day. Getting to Stansted does not need to cost a fortune. BA even?

I sometimes use one airline out and another back. Norwegian is good. I reckon you can wait a while.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from London to Madrid in September

I think we've usually done EasyJet from London rather than Ryanair (although we've flown them quite a lot in Europe). 70£ sounds like a very good price to me though. I'd take it and be happy myself. Sometimes Iberia has a deal going through itself or partner airlines (Aerlingus is how we get the deals in the US but it's still Iberia).

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from London to Madrid in September

I'm more than happy with £70. In fact, I was going to book ones for £85 instead as the flight days/times suited me a bit better and the price is very cheap anyway. The last time I went to Madrid, I went from Edinburgh and it's much cheaper to go from London. I'd be booking today if there wasn't a little bit of uncertainty about my friends being in Madrid at the start of September.

I'll take a look at other airlines if I don't book until nearer the holiday. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with EasyJet. Cheap flights and Gatwick is the nearest airport to where I'll be staying in London.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,639 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from London to Madrid in September

I flew Norwegian recently to Malaga and they have a slick operation now in Gatwick. You even have wifi in the air if that interests. You print off boarding pass at the airport at a machine. I am planning to use them again although usually use Easyjet or Ryanair. The Ryanair Stansted connection from London using Terravision bus transfer is very good and reasonable.

7. Re: Flights from London to Madrid in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:16