We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation in Madrid and Barcelona in Sept for a week

Thousand Oaks
2 posts
Save Topic
Vacation in Madrid and Barcelona in Sept for a week

My wife and I are planning a week trip to Madrid and Barcelona in mid Sept and we are wondering if anyone thinks the current sporadic austerity protests in these 2 cities might disrupt our vacation. Should we be concerned? Thank you!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
522 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation in Madrid and Barcelona in Sept for a week

No need to worry. In March I was in Madrid when there were protests. Police were all around & the protestors were not at all violent; they just wanted to put forth their message.

Thousand Oaks
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation in Madrid and Barcelona in Sept for a week

I appreciate your feedback!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
522 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation in Madrid and Barcelona in Sept for a week

Glad to help & hope you have a wonderful trip. I adore Spain!

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,524 posts
3,726 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation in Madrid and Barcelona in Sept for a week

Moh-ham:

There are protests every single day in Spain. Few people pay them attention anymore. If you see one, just walk away because there are anti-system people who may take advantage of them and try to set fire to trash containers or break ATMs.

My suggestion is to stay 4 days in Madrid and do one day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia. Read about these day trips in the top questions on the right panel. Downtown is the Gran Via, with many hotels, restaurants and shops. Use venere.com to screen for hotels in that area.

Take the AVE to Barcelona.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

Downtown Barcelona is the Plaza de Catalunya. There are many hotels near this place.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation in Madrid and Barcelona in Sept for a week

Don't worry about the protests. When we lived there there were quite a lot and many were rather violent even. We never were worried by them and we never felt they changed anything (and in fact I had to go through the largest of them in Sol on a regular basis for my shopping and transport). My son used to walk past them on his way home from school daily. Go. Enjoy your trip!

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,662 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation in Madrid and Barcelona in Sept for a week

No need to worry about the protests which are normally nonviolent.

I am currently in Madrid and which a few days ago had a demonstration against the monarchy with an estimated crowd of 10,000 (police) or 100,000 (organiser) in puerta del sol without violent.

This goes to show you madrid , as in any other cities in Spain, is perfectly safe.

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation in Madrid and Barcelona in Sept for a week

My partner & I are also planning to be in Madrid & Barcelona in either Sept. or early Oct. Looking forward to the trip. Thanks for assurances that we should feel safe. Frankly I wasn't even concerned about it until I read this thread.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation in Madrid and Barcelona in Sept for a week

A word of warning - don't book accommodation through a company called "Days & Weeks". I paid a deposit in early August for an apartment that was shown as vacant in early October. They later emailed and said there had been a double booking. It is now October and they haven't refunded my money. They also have not replied to my last 4 emails. Steer well clear of them.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation in Madrid and Barcelona in Sept for a week

A word of warning - don't book accommodation through a company called "Days & Weeks". I paid a deposit in early August for an apartment that was shown as vacant in early October. They later emailed and said there had been a double booking. It is now October and they haven't refunded my money. They also have not replied to my last 4 emails. Steer well clear of them.

10. Re: Vacation in Madrid and Barcelona in Sept for a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2015, 05:15