We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid side trips (thoughts on these or others?)

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid side trips (thoughts on these or others?)

Hola! I'm traveling to Madrid in a couple weeks, never been to Spain, and currently, my entire Spain portion of my trip was planned to be in Madrid (about a week), I'm told I might want to do some day or quick overnight trips to mix things up. One suggestion was Toledo (day trip). Additionally, I was reading up on both Cuenca and Siguenza and wondered if I should plan a day / overnight trip to these places. Can anyone please advise? I will not be renting a car and will be traveling solo, so I want places that are fairly easy to access from Madrid (bus/train) and once I get there, that are walkable cities/towns (easy to get around). I love being outside, hiking, exploring, good food (who doesn't...), architecture, history and hanging out with locals. I don't really care for museums. Thoughts? Thank you!!!

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid side trips (thoughts on these or others?)

Based on your post you may find both Toledo and Segovia worthy of a day trip.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid side trips (thoughts on these or others?)

Jill:

Beside Toledo and Segovia, you may want to see Siguenza. I really enjoyed that town and that is why I wrote the article about the day trip. Cuenca is harder to get to because the AVE station is quite far from town and you have to take a bus to it. After that you have to take another bus to the upper part of town, where the gorge is.

Read about these day trips in the top questions on the right panel.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid side trips (thoughts on these or others?)

Great! I was thinking about that too but wasn't sure.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid side trips (thoughts on these or others?)

We were in Madrid for a week in May and fit in two day trips to Toledo and Segovia easily i.e. we felt there was plenty of time to fully experience Madrid as well as enjoy the day trips. Both were very easy to access. We went to Segovia by bus and Toledo via the fast train. Both were easy trips and very enjoyable (we enjoyed Segovia a touch more). There is plenty of information on both forms of transport online, but if you need more help, please ask.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid side trips (thoughts on these or others?)

Thank you!!!

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid side trips (thoughts on these or others?)

Segovia is a very easy trip. I prefer the bus on that one because it's so convenient and not much more time than the train (45 minutes v. 25 but then you need to take a shuttle from the train station which takes 10 and the bus lets you off in the center of town and it runs on the 1/2 hour). I also like Avila as a trip. Siguenza is popular as a honeymoon destination actually. You could also consider Chinchon. There's a bus that goes there as well I believe.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid side trips (thoughts on these or others?)

good tips - thanks!!!

8. Re: Madrid side trips (thoughts on these or others?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:17