We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearing Customs Madrid T4 - Miami - Madrid arrivng at 9:00A

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Clearing Customs Madrid T4 - Miami - Madrid arrivng at 9:00A

My tenage son is traveling soon to Madrid and need to take the train going to Oviedo at the Chamartin Station - I see an 11:00AM train scheduled to Oviedo - if he brings a carry-on - could he make it on time? I understand the subway from T4 to Nuevos Ministerios Station and swithc to Chamrtin should take no more than 35 minutes - my question is how long it should take to clear customs? Is an hour reasonable? He has a US paspport

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearing Customs Madrid T4 - Miami - Madrid arrivng at 9:00A

Immigration is the real hold up. It can go fast or slow, depending on how many other flights arrive at the same time. Customs doesn't take any time.

I wouldn't be comfortable with 2 hours from landing to a train departure.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,289 posts
3,494 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearing Customs Madrid T4 - Miami - Madrid arrivng at 9:00A

carlos:

I used to live in California and would fly to Madrid every summer. Half of the time my plane would be delayed an hour or more arriving at Madrid.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
42 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearing Customs Madrid T4 - Miami - Madrid arrivng at 9:00A

Carlos:

The best and fastest way of reaching Chamartin Station from T4 is the local railway (renfe cercanías).

The station is located at basement -1, and the access is inmediately after leaving the arrivals hall

Trains to Chamartin leave every 30 minutes, at :28 and :58 minutes, and the journey only takes 12-15 minutes. Train is cheaper and faster than taking the metro. And it is a free trip if you have a long distance train ticket for the same day. You must introduce the code in the machines to get the local train ticket.

Customs procedures in Spain are not long, but be sure that non european passengers will spend more time queuing. But the proccess should not take more than 15 minutes, depending on the flights that have arrived at the same time.

I'd recommend you to consider possible delays, and the fact that fights from America usually are bounded to terminal T4-S, where the passport control is located. Then, passengers are carried by APM to the T4 terminal, baggage claim and exit.

A rookie passenger in this airport, will spend at least 60 minutes from the plane in T4S to the train platform. I do not recommend booking a 11.00 train, having landed at 09.00. Even without delays.

Remember that there is a direct bus option from Madrid Airport to Oviedo. Check the Alsa web. www.alsa.es.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearing Customs Madrid T4 - Miami - Madrid arrivng at 9:00A

you are taking a big chance with only 2 hours to spare to get from t4 airside to chamartin station especially for someone who is not familiar with madrid.

what i will recommend to you is this>

do not buy your ticket until you get out of immigration. there are 2 renfe offices in the airport. by this time you should know and be advised by the staff at the renfe office whether you will be able to take a certain train for oviedo and then you can buy a combinado cercanias which will be used for your trip to oviedo and also for a free ride to chamartin station. i have checked the timetable and price for oviedo and for your train after 10.00 am, there are no promotional discounted ticket, so the full fare for second class is 50.20 euros and trip time is from around 5 hurs to 5 1&2 hours.

if it is up to me, i will forget about the 11.05 train to oviedo. and also about the next train at 12.22 hour as it involves a transfer and longer trip time of 7 hour 23 minutes even though it is cheaper at 43.70 euros.

better to take the alvia 04141 train at 14.40 to oviedo.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 12:41
5. Re: Clearing Customs Madrid T4 - Miami - Madrid arrivng at 9:00A

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:16