We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Prado Museum closed in the morning of Sept 25th?

Tokyo
Level Contributor
434 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Is Prado Museum closed in the morning of Sept 25th?

Greetings,

Does anyone know if Prado Museum for some reason has unusual hours on September 25th 2014?

I've registered on their website and am trying to book our group's tickets online. As luck would have it, the date I am interested in Sept 25 (Thursday) the times available start at 12.15pm. All days (and I mean all days around the 25th) have tickets starting from 10.00am. I started to think that perhaps it's closed in the morning due to some special event / function?

I've tried contacting Prado reservation, but the answer is unclear. I've tried calling from Skype to the Prado museum, but not having luck in getting through.

If the all the tickets (10.00~12.15) have been sold already, I will choose another date. But as this date works best with our schedule, I would like to know for sure.

If anyone knows what is going on, please let me know!

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Prado Museum closed in the morning of Sept 25th?

I can't think it would be. It's not a holiday as far as I know. As far as I know they are only closed on May Day, New Years Day and Christmas. They do have reduced hours but those are only on Epiphany, New Years Eve Day and Noche Buena.

How many in your group? Is it necessary to book in advance? If you're a group of 6 say, I'd just buy the tickets on the day. A timed ticket is not necessary for the general collection. The timed entries usually are for special exhibits that are running at the Prado.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
434 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Prado Museum closed in the morning of Sept 25th?

Thank you, wombat1223, but as i need 15 tickets, i want to make sure we can all get in. So I pre-booking seems to be a better idea than waiting till the actual day.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,482 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Prado Museum closed in the morning of Sept 25th?

Anna:

September 25 is not a holiday in Madrid. However if you cannot book at 10 am I would choose another day.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Prado Museum closed in the morning of Sept 25th?

Even with 15 you'd be fine going at 9:45 and waiting for them to open. But if it makes you nervous don't do it and choose another day as Benny suggests.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
434 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Prado Museum closed in the morning of Sept 25th?

Thank you Benny and Wombat1223.

Yes, I think I have no other choice but to choose another day since I wanted to book 11.45am (visiting Reina Sofia first thing in the morning)

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Prado Museum closed in the morning of Sept 25th?

You'd still be fine. But personally I wouldn't try to do two museums in the same day. And I'd never do the Prado as a second activity! It's a prime event! LOL!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,482 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Prado Museum closed in the morning of Sept 25th?

Anna:

The Prado is a huge museum! If you see it thoroughly, you may not have any energy to see another museum. I know I would not.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
434 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Prado Museum closed in the morning of Sept 25th?

Dear Wombat and Benny,

I am sure you are both right and to do justice to either Museum (especially Prado) we'd probably need to spend the day just doing one. But as the group only has 2 days in Madrid this is the best I could come up with:

1st (jet legged!) day : old Madrid walking tour + Royal Palace + bus highlight + Retiro park short stop

2nd day, half-day Art Tour with a guide : Reina Sofia ca. 1hr (mostly to see Guernica) + Prado 1.5hrs (art lovers can stay longer after the end of the tour). + Free afternoon for shopping, Retiro park, etc.

We do have two more days, but they are set aside for Segovia and Toledo.

I know it's a rushed itinerary...is there a better way to fit it in?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,482 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Prado Museum closed in the morning of Sept 25th?

Anna<.

Read the articles in the top questions about the day trip to Toledo and the day trip to Segovia because I recommend good restaurants in each city.

Have a great trip!

Tokyo
Level Contributor
434 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Prado Museum closed in the morning of Sept 25th?

Thank you Benny! Very much looking forward to it!