We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renfe ticket purchase with payment by paypal

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
renfe ticket purchase with payment by paypal

starting 03/07/2014 you will be able to purchase renfe train tickets with payment by paypal. so for those with paypal accounts, hopefully it will be easier for overseas customers to purchase renfe tickets and not have problems with renfe.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renfe ticket purchase with payment by paypal

ptgita:

I received this message too from Renfe.

If someone does use Paypal, please tell me about your experience before I revise the Renfe article that I wrote.

Edited: 15 July 2014, 05:16
surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renfe ticket purchase with payment by paypal

i certainly would appreciate any feedback from posters trying to make payment by paypal.

i would also like to hear whether anyone has use their door to door service.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renfe ticket purchase with payment by paypal

I tried using paypal after being unsuccessful using both MasterCard and visa debit and credit cards to buy Renfe tickets. I still couldnt buy tickets with Paypal- incredibly frustrating. I followed the all the advice on TA and seat 61 but still no luck including trying different computers. In the end I followed the advice of others and booked using loco2.com which worked very well. Slightly more expensive because of two lots of currency conversion euro/pound/NZD but at least i have the tickets.

This seems to be a Renfe issue because I have been able to use the same cards on sites other than Renfe and have been able to buy tickets on SCNF &Trenitalia thanks to the advice of the man in seat 61.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: renfe ticket purchase with payment by paypal

could you please tell me at what point during the online purchase did you encountered the problem and what was the problem?

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renfe ticket purchase with payment by paypal

We recently bought tickets from Madrid to Barcelona on paypal with no issues. This after 2 hours of trying to get our Master Card work. Initially we did not try Paypal as we thought it would work out to be more expensive. But after the frustration of trying to get our Master Card work, we were willing to compromise on a few bucks. I am not sure what issue the previous reviewer had but for us Paypal worked smoothly and I wish we had not wasted couple of hours with credit card payment.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: renfe ticket purchase with payment by paypal

My problem with paypal and with trying to pay with card transaction was at the final approval stage. After completing all of the details there was an error message from Renfe which said the transaction couldn't proceed. I cant remember the error message number sorry.

.When I got this message using my credit card I checked with my bank who said there had been no payment request. I used the same card on another Spanish site on the same day without problems and have also used paypal on another Spanish website so concluded that the issue was with Renfe.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: renfe ticket purchase with payment by paypal

I am sorry to bother you again. As you know the payment at paypal went live on the 3rd of july and i am sure there might be teething problems to the set up. What i am trying to find out is exactly at what point you were having.

You were having problem at the final approval stage. Have you put in a 9 digit phone number. Any 9 digit number number will do. That is one area where the final approval stage will fail you.

Jan12, the previous poster from the usa did not have problem using the paypal payment. But i am trying to ascertain what is the differences between a payment by paypal from the usa to that of oceana (new zealand).

Shanghai, China
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: renfe ticket purchase with payment by paypal

Hi all, I just tried to pay by paypal but failed. My paypal is linking with my debit card but my paypal balance is zero right now. Normally if I pay by palpal without balance it will grab money from my saving account. I am not sure if it is the reason I failed.. I have been very frustrated with renfe site during these few days, almost tried all my cards. I don't know how can I solve the problem. Cry...

surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: renfe ticket purchase with payment by paypal

if i understand you correctly, you are saying you have a zero balance on your debit card and you either have no overdraft facility or you have exhausted your overdraft facility. is that why your paypal payment did not go through.

i have a paypal account with payment by paypal linked to my credit card and i have never encountered any problems with payments for goods ordered online.but paypal usually grab money out of your account, so could there be other reason for the payment failure?

Shanghai, China
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: renfe ticket purchase with payment by paypal

Thank you for replying me. My palpay account does not have balance (balance is zero). As it is linked with my debit card, my debit card has money inside. Maybe I should transfer some moeny from my debit card to my paypal. Also I have just add EURO currency for my paypal (before I only have US dollar and Australian dollar currency), I am not sure if it is also a reason for my problem. Just keep trying to see what happen. Really tired..>_<