We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miracle in Madrid

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Miracle in Madrid

I have recently returned from the beautiful city of Madrid. On my first day I visited the Prado, and realised my new I-phone had come out in a taxi. I spent the day regretting the family photos I had lost. I went back to my apartment at lunchtime , emailed the apartment owner not expecting anything , but at least to let him know. I tried to contact the phone to no avail (it had an Australian sim card). I returned to the apartment at 6pm downcast to a beeming concierge, who had waited an hour for me. And guess what, he had my phone !! So how it was recovered and returned will never be known. The taxi was caught on the street, with a driver who spoke no English. I had no receipt or taxi number. And despite my 200 euro reward, no one (taxi driver included) would take a cent. God bless Madrid. I experienced this kindness , all over this wonderful city.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miracle in Madrid

Sometimes life really surprises you. On our daughter's first day of college, she got on the city bus in Milwaukee, WI and left her purse. She called me to tell me that. I said, "Kiss it good bye" About ten minutes later, I received a phone call from a Spanish-speaking person in Milwaukee (I was at home in Madison, WI 90 miles away, the woman told me she had the purse. Daughter picked it up the next day. Everything there. Would you believe it? No, but sometimes good things happen because there are some good people in this world.

Now what are the odds that I would answer the phone? My husband doesn't speak Spanish though the daughter in MKE does.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,401 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miracle in Madrid

The majority of people in madrid are honest decent human beings. You do not heard of human kindness committed when something good has happened. Unfortunately madrid is taunted by many incidents of pickpocketing committed by miscreants.

Thank you for your testimonial.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miracle in Madrid

If generosity of human spirit was a bankable commodity, Madrid would be very rich indeed. Anyone who has not visited Madrid , do yourself a huge favour and go. One of Europe's great cities.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,220 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miracle in Madrid

Kgari:

The majority of the Spanish are very honest and will try to help tourists. Your experience shows how good the Spanish are.

The majority of people who are pickpockets are from other countries.

5. Re: Miracle in Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 05:17