We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please!

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston
Level Contributor
119 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help please!

Hi:

I just learned hubby is being sent to Spain for business in January and I will be joining him. We will be starting from Bilbao (business location). I would like to fly directly to Granada as I have always wanted to see Alhambra. We will have a total of 11 days after the week of business meetings. I was thinking of spending 3 days in Granada, 4 in Madrid and 3 in Barcelona (our outbound flight is leaving from Barcelona on the 12th day) leaving a travel day getting from city to city. I know we cannot do any place justice in 3 or 4 days, but we need to make it work. Being as we will be there in January, I am not sure if we should stay in Granada or Barcelona the 4 days and Madrid 3 days. My online research indicates Madrid is colder than the coastal/southern cities, but there are so many towns to see right outside of Madrid, so it seemed to warrant the extra day. Will Toledo, Segovia and El Escorial be bitterly cold in January?

Also, any suggestions as to what I should see in Bilbao, or day tours from Bilbao I might take while my husband is at meetings?

Thank you for the help.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please!

clili:

Spain will be cold in January, but if you wear a warm coat and gloves, there should be no problem at all.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online and BOOK EARLY. A good hotel in Granada is the Vincci Albayzin.

Yes, stay longer in Madrid so that you can do one day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia. El Escorial is also beautiful. Read about these day trips in the top questions of the Madrid forum because I recommend restaurants in those articles.

The Silken Gran Domine Bilbao Hotel is very good and is the best hotel in the city. I have stayed there in the past. It is across the street from the Guggenheim. Be sure to see the Museo de Bellas Artes, which has great art from Basque artists. Read the top questions in the Bilbao forum.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please!

For train travel:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help please!

High speed trains from/to madrid are all less than 3 hour

houston
Level Contributor
119 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please!

Thank you so much. I will read all the suggestions in each forum. I have read about day trip tours for Madrid, but none of them had dates available beyond November. Is it just too early for them to have posted tours for January, or do day tours not run in the winter months? That would save us from having to get a car and drive.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help please!

Toledo is also rather cold in the winter but so very worth it. 3 days in Granada is a lot but I like a relaxed pace myself. I'd just be sure to decide in advance what to do so that you don't run out of things to do. Completely agree with Benny about booking those tickets online and early. They do sell out quickly even at that time of year. I might do 2 in Granada and then 4 in Madrid and 4 in Barcelona. You'll have a nice taste of them in that amount of time.

We loved Bilbao. Of course the Guggenheim is there and it is spectacular. And the food is fabulous there as well.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help please!

about cold... I guess it depends on what you are used to. In central spain (madrid and around) and in Granada due to altitude, it can easily be below 0 C (in the 20s F)

It is quite easy to get a train or a bus to go to segovia or toledo from madrid, so no need of an organised tour or a car.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help please!

You might get some snow in the towns in the vicinities of Madrid such as El Escorial, Ávila and Segovia, but it will rarely be so bad you cannot or should not go. Unless you drive, in which case you might have to cross some mountain passes that could be closed with blizzards -although there is a toll tunnel that is almost always open-. But anyway, train will always be a good choice for visiting any of those towns.

8. Re: Itinerary help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:16