We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attire for cathedrals

Philadelphia. PA
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Attire for cathedrals

Are women's shoulders required to be covered when entering the cathedrals in Spain? I recall having to buy a scarf outside of the Vatican. Will take that one along if necessary. Thanks!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,508 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attire for cathedrals

jl:

Yes, women's shoulders have to be covered, and one has to dress modestly. No shorts are permitted for either men or women. Wear what you would wear to a US church.

Many churches have volunteers who monitor who enters the church and will tell people who are not dressed properly to leave the church.

Much of the art in Spain is found in its churches, so you should really see the churches.

Winter Park...
Level Contributor
531 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attire for cathedrals

also, guys should not wear open shoes like flip flops or sandals. Personally, I wear collared shorts, polo type and non jean pants when seeing cathedrals.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,204 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attire for cathedrals

Wear blouse or dress with sleeve. Dress modestly. No tank tops or shorts.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,508 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attire for cathedrals

This is what the Vatican says:

Access to Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, Vatican Gardens and Saint Peter's Basilica is permitted only to visitors dressed appropriately (no sleeveless blouses, no miniskirts, no shorts, no hats allowed).

Philadelphia. PA
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attire for cathedrals

We were admitted into the Vatican in shorts as it was July and 98 degrees when we were there. It looks like Spain will be experiencing the same temperatures next week when we arrive. I guess we'll chance it and worst case have to return the following day in proper attire. Thanks everyone!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attire for cathedrals

General rule is dressing modestly, but some churches enforce the attire rules more than others. I have seen 3 guys sharing the only pair of long pants they had to enter the cathedral of Santillana del Mar one by one (it was quite fun to see). Here in Barcelona I have been people virtually in beach attire in the Sagrada Familia (but other people complain of having been refused, so I guess it depends on the mood of the day. However, the Gothic cathedral in Barcelona is very strict and people is being denied entry all the time (to the joy of the shawl street vendors who know it and are always around there).

BTW, I'd never heard about the no sandals/flip-flops rule for guys! And I have visited a zillion churches on holidays with male friends and family members who were wearing those for sure.

For women, if you wear sleeveless blouses or dresses, carrying a shawl is very useful. Not only if you enter a church... I use it here to avoid freezing in the metro!

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attire for cathedrals

So the answer is it depends. When we visit family in Latin America dress is not very modest at all, but it's very dressed up (so tight dress with plunging neckline and short skirt). I don't have the figure for that, myself but that is how many people dress. In Spain and Italy dress is much more conservative, but really for congregants but less so for visitors. As a tourist you're given a certain amount of leeway though. I think sometimes the flip-flops, and shorts are allowed when its clear you're not a congregant. My policy is as follows: I like Belsaita tend to get cold on the Metro and in restaurants so I usually have a scarf in my bag. I never wear shorts as a woman because I just don't (feel free to search other threads on manner of dress and you can find my explanation about that one) but that way I am always covered: if I have on a sleeveless top, I can throw my scarf on over my shoulders and if I have on sleeves I am fine. Basically, I suggest either capris or a skirt on days you plan to visit churches. But seriously, the Metro can be super cold as can some restaurants and the museums. I'm all for a light pashmina type scarf (I swear I bought like 6 of these when we lived there) that will fold up into nothing and that you can toss in a bag.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 00:58
8. Re: Attire for cathedrals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 06:16