We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid in February 2014

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid in February 2014

My friend and I plan to stay one month in Madrid, February 2014. We plan to take Spanish lessons there before moving onto Malaga area and then Barcelona. Rather than read through hundreds of postings, I hope I'll get some help by posting my own questions. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

There are many language schools. Does anyone have any recommendations on those to avoid or attend? We are both over 50 with a desire to learn some basics that would be useful in restaurants, when shopping, traveling, and chatting with locals who are more comfortable in Spanish than English, etc.

We would like to rent an apartment for a month or each have a room in a house with kitchen privileges. Can you recommend neigbourhoods, again mentioning any to be avoided. Thanks! Most of the language schools seem to be in the central area of the city. As transit strikes seem to occur from time to time, we would want to be within walking distance of the city center. We are aware of a few agencies for renting apartments, however, if you know of any reputable ones, please let us know. Once the school we'll attend is decided, I may come back here for more suggestions. :-)

I'll start there.

JRCaper!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid in February 2014

That should be February 2015.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,287 posts
3,473 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid in February 2014

CaperJR:

I suggest you take your Spanish lessons in Malaga because we have better weather than Madrid, especially during the winter months.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187438-c88501/Malaga…

We get many more students here than any other part of Spain because of our good weather and the fact that we have beaches. People here are very friendly and you can practice your Spanish with anyone. They will love to talk to you. In other parts of Spain people are more reserved and it may be difficult to practice your Spanish with them.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid in February 2014

Check the link about barrios of Madrid to help you decide which neighborhood best suits you. I don't know anything about language schools in Madrid. I only know about programming in Valencia. There are multiple places you can rent through for short time periods. I would suggest mad4rent.com and friendlyrentals.com as I know faculty members and researchers who have used both of these rather than the usual vacation ones like spain-select and vrbo (and friendlyrentals has only a few that will rent by month affordably). Otherwise you can also look for rooms short term on idealista.com and segundomano.es. I assume you've chosen Madrid for a reason to study in rather than changing your plans on a dime and heading to Malaga. However if you have not, then it's worth it to check and see where the best program is not necessarily to choose based on cities.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid in February 2014

Thank you for the great information. Originally we had thought about going to Malaga for lessons, so I think we'll revisit that idea. That being said, there are so many schools from which to choose! Any tips on how to narrow it down to 2-3? Thanks!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid in February 2014

Bear in mind the accent in Málaga is quite heavy, while as the accent in Madrid is not only much easier to understand, but will also increase your chances to be understood by people in the rest of the Spanish-speaking world.

But of course weather in Madrid is much harsher than Andalucía's in winter.

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid in February 2014

LOL! For me the southern accent is much easier to understand since our family is 1/2 Cuban and the Madrid accent was incredibly difficult. But to each their own. I did know I'd made a breakthrough in Madrid when I was able to communicate with the Chinese grocer who had a heavy Chinese accent in his Madrid accent!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid in February 2014

On the Cervantes site:

http://eee.cervantes.es/es/index.asp

They provide a list of learning institutions that are approved by the government for being of high quality.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid in February 2014

Thank you so much for the advice. It's greatly appreciated. Just because the weather is warmer in Malaga, we will probably go there for the lessons. I enjoyed reading your comments/experiences about the various accents. I'll checking back in this forum to see if there are any further recommendations. :-)

9. Re: Madrid in February 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 18:43
10. Re: Madrid in February 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 18:43