We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Review/Help

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary Review/Help

Hello,

My wife and I will be traveling to Madrid for four days in September and since this is our first time I wanted to get some feedback from some of the veterans on if our itinerary is okay or needs tweaking along with any other suggestions. We're both Americans in our late twenties, we've been to a few foreign countries where English is not the primary language but never Spain (I spent a lot of time in Puerto Rico so I'm used to Spanish, understanding they are somewhat different languages). We both enjoy history (me more so than her), shopping (definitely her more so than me), and LOVE food. Our primary reason for visiting Madrid are culture and food.

We'll be staying at the Me Madrid Reina Victoria. I appreciate your help!

Friday

-Afternoon Arrival from Portugal

-Stroll the neighborhood around our hotel

-Evening Tapas Tour

Saturday

-Royal Palace

-Sabatini Gardens

-Mercado de San Miguel (is this a good lunch option? are there places to sit and/or pick up picnic supplies?)

-Retiro Park

-Palacio de Cristal

-Shopping (Any suggestions on some good non-touristy shopping?)

-Tapas Crawl (saw this suggested before: Txacolina, Casa Lucas, Taberna Salamanca, Txirmiri, La Parrala, Xentes, Vinos, Almacen de Vinos. Thoughts?)

Sunday

-Palacio de Cibeles

-Palacio de Linares

-Lunch (Open to suggestions, we're considering the Mercado again if we like it)

-Temple de Debod

-More shopping or any other sights we must see?

-Dinner (would like a nicer restaurant. I've listed a few with favorable ratings near our hotel, but am open to suggestions. Malaspina, Taberna del chato, Gonzalez, La Descubierta)

Monday

-Have availability in the morning before we fly out--not sure if we could see anything else?

*A few general questions. Is alcohol allowed in the parks for a picnic? Is there a place to get good, but not too expensive (comparatively speaking) Cuban cigars? What are options for breakfast? I know Spaniards prefer lighter fare than Americans. Are there any good places near our hotel? I have four years of Spanish from school and spent time in Puerto Rico so I can speak a bit (slowly relative to native speakers) and understand a bit more than that, but how difficult will it be to order in a tapas bar with noise/crowds? Any tips I should be aware of?

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,365 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Review/Help

atg:

You will have no problem with your Spanish and everyone will understand you. You should know that all tourist places have people who speak English now, including in restaurants.

All shopping is touristy. Good places to shop are the Gran Via and Calle Goya. For upscale shopping go to Calle Serrano, the 5th Avenue of Madrid.

For a restaurant, I suggest Botin. This was Hemingway's favorite restaurant. It is the world's oldest restaurant and is still a very good restaurant. You can try the roasted pig or lamb.

businessinsider.com/the-five-best-best-tapas…

Small museums you may want to see are the Sorolla Museum and the Ceralbo Museum.

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Review/Help

Thanks Benny! Good to know we should be able to carry on a conversation without much trouble then. Thanks for the shopping suggestions and I've been weighing to go to Botin or not, but after hearing your suggestion and the roasted pig I think we'll plan that for dinner--can't wait!

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Review/Help

Mercado de San Miguel is cool to see. Touristy, obviously. Yeah, it's a good choice for "picnic" foods to grab for eating on the go to prepared foods. But I think it's a little pricey, generally, compared with what you can get elsewhere in the city. All around there are numerous places to stop in for a simple bocadillo sandwich, empanadas, tortilla de espanola, potatoes and padrón peppers, or whatever.

Another lunch idea: It's not near Mercado de San Miguel, but over by Plaza de España, but Con Dos Fogones has a great 10€ 3-course "menú del día" lunch (starts after 1pm) that is always changing using in-season ingredients.

Edited: 15 August 2014, 01:56
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Review/Help

Suggestions for September:

http://goo.gl/maps/ntW8K

5. Re: Itinerary Review/Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 06:17