We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
car rental

car rental

Aug 22, 2014, 1:14 PM

We plan on renting a car in Madrid and travel around Spain for 3 weeks

Picking up the car in Madrid and returning it to Barcelona.

Our plan is to use public transportation while in Madrid and Barcelona

therefore, the car is really for traveling outside these areas.

So, with that said, the questions are:

1. Are we better off picking up and return the car in the city or airport ?

2 ,As we are leaving town after picking up the car is the airport more convenient to the

highway? Or is it just as easy from town?

b.t.w. There is a 49 euro fee for airports pick up and returns .

3. How difficult is it driving in Madrid and Barcelona,( realizing that these are big cities) ?

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

RJ Adventures

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

Personally I prefer the train between Madrid and Barcelona although we as a family did quite a lot of driving in Spain. It's just much more convenient between those two cities. 2.5 hours downtown to downtown and you're done. You are better off in Madrid at least, picking up the car at Atocha rather than the airport. It's easy to get out of the city from there (just 10 minutes really) and the driving isn't horrible, but bear in mind I am a Boston driver in my soul despite where I live now so there are few cities where I am intimidated to drive save Asia. I've never driven in Barcelona but I'd imagine it's no different from most Spanish cities (and I have driven in Sevilla, Madrid, Bilbao, Cordoba, Cadiz, Granada and all over Extremadura and parts of Portugal).

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. TA members are so great and I always try to do reciprocate We will be driving all over Spain , hence our pick up in Madrid and dropping off in Barcelona at the end of our road trip. I'm so glad to have the info for picking up a car in Madrid and have made a Big Note on it for my travel folder.

Now I just have to figure out the drop off for Barcelona ,, Airport or City .

As we have managed driving in Ireland, New Zealand and Australia, on "wrong side" of the road, ever place

else, other than Paris and Asia, as you mentioned, is easy.

Thanks again

Regards

RJAdventures

Edited: 28 August 2014, 18:38
Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

I suspect you can drop off at Sans in Barcelona just as you can pick up at Atocha. Usually it's easiest to pick up and drop off in the Centro.

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

Terrific . Thank you again for the info. Now I can move on to the other fun planning.

RJAdventures

5. Re: car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:15