We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A spare Monday, what to do?

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,172 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
A spare Monday, what to do?

Hello.

I'm all set for another quick trip to Madrid to escape the rainy bank holiday in the UK.

I already have plans for most of my trip... except for Monday. I've previously done the Big 3 museums, but wondered if a day out to Toledo is feasible for Monday? As this day seems to be when most museums are closed, would it still be worth going to Toledo?

If I decide to stay in Madrid itself, can anyone advise on things to do or see on a Monday?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A spare Monday, what to do?

mcpinder:

I would suggest doing a day trip to Segovia instead. Segovia has few museums but there are other sites there that you will enjoy seeing.

If you stay in Madrid, you can go to El Retiro Park, open every day. See the Crystal Palace there.

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A spare Monday, what to do?

Toledo has sites open on Mondays.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A spare Monday, what to do?

All the churches and monasteries in Toledo will be open every day. Stores there are open every day too.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A spare Monday, what to do?

The El Greco museum is closed on Mondays.

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A spare Monday, what to do?

Though I'll add that there are other El Greco sites in Toledo than the El Greco museum. The Cathedral has an awesome display. The website is showing tickets to other El Greco 2014 exhibit sites available on Mondays — so unless the site is wrong...

Edited: 26 August 2014, 15:31
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,172 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A spare Monday, what to do?

I arrived home this evening, and wanted to say thank you all for your replies. I did go to Toledo on Monday, and had a wonderful day, despite the heat! The Cathedral, and the El Greco's were just stunning.

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A spare Monday, what to do?

Thanks for the follow up mcpinder. I adored my visit to Toledo's cathedral last April. What a cool event they all put together.

8. Re: A spare Monday, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:15