We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only-apartments.com - Never again!

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow
4 posts
Save Topic
Only-apartments.com - Never again!

A week ago I tried to rent an apartment in Madrid four months prior to our trip - on January. Initially

all went smooth - I found an apartment for an affordable price and clicked "book" after I carefully

read all conditions of renting, "rules of the house" and such. Point is that I did my best to avoid

booking with other than "card prepayment (25-50%) + rest on the arrival". No bank transfers, no

PayPal, no Western Union, no 100% prepayment and such! I thought we found what I wanted. I

clicked "book". After I have done that we lost our prepayment money and booked flat forever... I

learnt that later. (By the way - just after I made our booking I returned to the website and didn't find

my flat in the list sorted by price where it was and I found it at the bottom of that list where prices

were 2 times higher! Why I put this here - everything in the page could have changed quickly - not

only the price).

I've got a letter of successful booking which we believed stated the same that web-page stated

and didn't read that long and boring text (who read all these "terms and conditions", especially if

one have four months ahead of a trip and already have read everything important on the page of

the site?). I was relaxed by our bad habit of being "dear customer" rather than being "potential

prey on the alert". But three days later I have got another letter where the owner -Apartamentos

Madrid Centro Internacional - politely informed me that if I wouldn't send him the rest of the

booking fee (100%) in four days after my booking had been made it would be cancelled

automatically! And I discovered this letter four days later, at night! Technically I couldn't do this

100% payment this evening. Also, they sent me their bank account for I could do bank transfer so

they changed condition of the booking anyway. The first weak unpleasant suspicion that I was

cheated I brushed away. I tried to save my prepayment and wrote them not to cancel my booking.

I thought that it is normal for the client-oriented rent-apartment company and the client-oriented

owner to understand my circumstances and to give me Only-apartments regular client (it was my

booking #8 through Only-apartments) the postponement of the total payment for one day

considering the fact that I planned to visit their flat after four months! So I gave the owner a call,

immediately.

They said that "there is nothing to be done because a cancellation accomplishes automatically"

but they promised to call tomorrow to the Only-apartments staff and ask them if they can do

something for me. Next day I gave a call to the client service of the O-A where I learnt that "we

cannot do anything, because after prepayment being made everything decides the owner". Then

again series of useless calls and unanswered e-mails to both and here I am where I am: no

money and no flat. It's a shame because I had only positive experience before with Only-

apartments.com, what happened to them? And something had happened, because after

everything happened we searched web and found this:

https:/…only-apartments.com

So in comparison to other cases we still got off light!

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only-apartments.com - Never again!

In such circumstances, someone wants all of the money upfront, they are probably crooks. You can see what your bank has to say on the matter but such people are famous for not wanting to know.

There was a warning over similar cases in the British Press the other day:

dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2…

I just paid for an apartment with Paypal. If someone did not want Paypal, that would ring alarm bells with me.

The people who run such scams are usually Nigerian or Russian.

In your case I would get back to onlyapartments.com and give them a lot of hassle, send them complaints, write on their facebook page, etc. See who you can complain to about them. It's an American company and American companies hate bad publicity. Say you trusted them and that you would think that they would check on who they let advertise on their site.

You should have used a reputable holiday company like booking.com which has a very wide selection of properties at reasonable prices, often nothing to pay till arrival, and free cancellation.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only-apartments.com - Never again!

madrid, as in any other cities, have scammed artists. i am sorry for your misfortune and i can simpathize with you.

i notice you are a new poster, but please seek advice from the de´s and experienced posters before parting with your money.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Only-apartments.com - Never again!

Hi, Ptgita,

This is again "Intourist" aka "Foriegner".

I cannot explain it - hоw I became "Intourist", but actually I'm not a new poster - I'm here since 2005 and my real login is "Foriegner" (yes, alas, with a mistake in English) and I have something 400+ contributions here. When I tried to post my warning (as "Foriegner" - I thought so) - a dialog window with the re-registration requirements has appeared. Something mystical - now I vaguely remember that one of the versions of my login was "Intourist" when I pondered a name for my login when I registered here back in 2006. Now, when I sent this post I re-registered by mistake as "Intourist" not "Foriegner" I think.

I didn' want to be a "newcomer" here just to send one negative message! I have a long "history" here.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Only-apartments.com - Never again!

>The people who run such scams are usually Nigerian or Russian.<

One of those whom I spoke to has such a typical "Nigerian or Russian" name as Raul Miguel :) Fake name?

At least an accent is not Russian, not sure about Nigerian, if we can discuss an accent of a person who knows just a dozen of English words:).

surrey, england
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only-apartments.com - Never again!

foreigner,

even long term posters can be victim to such a scam. to be honest with you, i have not heard of only-apartment.com before. normally when you rent an apartment in madrid, especially for the legitimate rental companies, you do not need to put in a deposit or a small amount to secure your apartment. you felt victim to one of the oldest trip for rental property in madrid. i am surprised as a member of tripadvisor you did not check this company out.

as i mentioned before, i am sorry for your loss and i sympathize with you.

6. Re: Only-apartments.com - Never again!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 05:16