We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 6 day trip to Madrid

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary for 6 day trip to Madrid

Hello. Thanks for all the help so far. My boyfriend and I are planning a 6day trip to Madrid in Feb... here is what I have come up with so far:

- First 3days in Madrid: day trip to Toledo and back, musuems, tapas etc.

- Day 4: early morning train to Cordoba, go to the Mezquita, then on to Sevilla the same day.

- Day 5: still in Sevilla, take in town, famous cathedral, see Flamenco show.

- Day 6: back to Madrid via AVE, fly home to DC.

Still a working progress, thinking of fitting in a day trip to Granada... whatcha think? Too much? Suggestions Please! Thanks.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 6 day trip to Madrid

It's gratifying to see people who ask for advice, consider it, and then made their own decisions. Way to go!

My own opinion is that your schedule as it is is pretty sensible. The Granada day would be a push. If you see the Alcazar (near the Cathedral) in Sevilla, the style is similar to the Alhambra (both Muslims structures) , and you can save Granada and other things for another trip...whenever that may be.

Don't know where you are staying in Madrid, but for an inexpensive breakfast, go to Bar Majaderitos on Calle de Cadiz, south of the Puerta del Sol. Feature there is churros con chocolate. If you are an American breakfast person (I am not), they have delicious tortilla espanola. (potato omelet) which is usually eaten as a tapa, not breakfast food.

I am elated you are going to the Mezquita, which to me is a bigger deal than the Alhambra, but I know that isn't majority opinion. For the millineum celebration, they had the electric lights redone to simulate the oil lamps of 1000 years ago when the Mezquita was new. Awesome!

The famous cathedral in Sevilla. Climb the Giralda, the former minarete, beside it. See the Alcazar nearby as mentioned above. Stroll, snack in the Barrio de Santa Cruz, also nearby.

AVE is a nice trip to and fro.

All in all, sounds like a terrific trip.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 6 day trip to Madrid

Thanks for the help! I am really excited! Yeah I think the Granada trip might be pushing it but I think this is enough to take in different aspects of Spain. We are planning on staying at the Room Mate Alicia in Madrid. Still unsure of where to stay in Sevilla. Any recommendations for an inexpensive but okay hotel in Sevilla? Something central would be nice. Also considering flying out of Sevilla instead of Madrid so we can have Day 6 in Sevilla instead of travel but have not looked into flights yet. Whatcha think? thanks

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 6 day trip to Madrid

Sevilla airport is a small airport & only handles flights within the EU. The other international airport within easy reach of Sevilla that you could fly from is Malaga.

For hotels in Sevilla, try the Hotel Murillo or the Casas de La Juderia is another one that is regularly mentioned.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 6 day trip to Madrid

Thanks! I guess we will be going back to Madrid to fly home then... just easier. We plan to stay at Room Mate Alicia for 3days in Madrid at rate of about 100Euro a night... any recommendations for a cheaper hotel with comparable service and good location? We are trying to stay within budget... thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 6 day trip to Madrid

You could try www.solmelia.com. They've got a selection of hotels in central Madrid & you can usually get a good deal if you book early enough.

We've stayed in some of their hotels around the country & found them to be of a good standard. Just check before you book that the hotel is in the centre as they have a few on the outskirts of Madrid. They're all reviewed here, too.

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for 6 day trip to Madrid

Based on reviews and budget Im thinking Hotel Amadeus. Any other suggestions?

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for 6 day trip to Madrid

I think your itenerary sounds great, I would recommend the same trip for others too. Its smart and you get to see alot. , Granada you will have to see some day but already you are doing 4 cities in 6 days.

The hotel Amadeus looks great, maybe nicer than the one I was going to recommend Hotel Goya, which is 3 blocks from the cathedral. But doesnt have that nice terrace!

Enjoy!

Laurel, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for 6 day trip to Madrid

Thanks! what is the weather like in Feb in Madrid and Sevilla?

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for 6 day trip to Madrid

In Madrid it is unpredictable, probably 9-12C, maybe cooler or you could be lucky & get it warmer, definitely take warm clothes & a raincoat with you & it will go colder when the sun goes down.

Sevilla will be a few degrees warmer than Madrid, but still cool at night & you may get some rain.

Have fun!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for 6 day trip to Madrid

Uh, I guess what you mean is six day trip to Spain and not six days in Madrid.

Have you considered not running around so much? Perhaps stay in Madrid for the whole six days with some combination of day trips to El Escorial, Toledo, Sergovia, Avila.

If you don't mind the advice from someone who has been travelling for forty years -- the faster you go the less you see.