We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Segovia to Barajas airport at rush hour

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
493 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Segovia to Barajas airport at rush hour

We are planning on driving from Segovia to Madrid's Barajas airport to catch a 11:25 am international flight. From MapQuest, it looks like a 1 hr 15 min drive. I want to get to the airport by 8:30 to drop off the rental car. My concern is rush hour traffic on that route. About how long would the drive take then?

Thanks!

Colmenar Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Segovia to Barajas airport at rush hour

I would say that 1hr 15 is a bit on the optimistic side, you would be best adding an hour onto that, just to be on the safe side.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Segovia to Barajas airport at rush hour

As already mentioned, 1hr 15min is very optimistic what with the traffic, construction, and not being familiar with the route. It can be confusing if you haven't experienced it previously.

Also, a number of roadways have been renamed/resigned. They have added the R, M and AP routes just to add to the confusion. Make sure you have an up to date map. Which road you follow, once you reach Madrid, depends on which terminal you'll be flying out of, T1 or T4S, but coming in from Segovia is a little easier than arriving from the northeast.

Overall, I would allow a minimum of 2 hours for the drive, 2-1/2 to 3 would be safer in case you encounter any problems along the way.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Segovia to Barajas airport at rush hour

As I said in a previous post, you would be better getting a hotel near the airport for the night before your flight.

FBV
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
731 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Segovia to Barajas airport at rush hour

If you still plan to drive from Segovia to Madrid the same morining of your flight, here are some tips:

- Use an updated map and estudy it carefully the day before.

- A year ago, a new toll highway was opened from Seovia to the A-6, the free highway that connects Madrid with the north-west of Spain. Be sure to take that highway and not the mountain pass via La Granja de San Ildefonso. Although this is the straightest way and the most beautiful, the mountains are pretty tall (2000/2500 m above sea level) and it will take you a long time, especially if snowing.

- Exit A-6 (sometimes also named as AP-6 or N-VI) before entering into the city center of Madrid. Take the M-40 highway for aprox. 20 km/12 miles.

- Then, take M-11 highway to the airport. This highway only goes to the airport and it has not very much traffic. Check your terminal (1 to 4), as they are pretty far one from the others.

Allow 2 hours aprox. for the journey, in case of traffic jams: the worts part will be the final part of A-6 and M-40.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
493 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Segovia to Barajas airport at rush hour

Thank you for your advice!

6. Re: Segovia to Barajas airport at rush hour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 10:23