We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cartagena

London
7 posts
Save Topic
Cartagena

My friend and I are planning on stopping off in Cartagena region for a few days and would love if anyone could recommend a good place to stay near a beach, restaurants and bars. We will be travelling there in early July.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,298 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cartagena

Tricky:

A popular beach resort near Cartagena is Torrevieja. Also be sure to visit the palm grove in Elche.

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cartagena

Torrevieja is about an hour's drive to Cartagena. There are no decent beach resorts in the city itself - will you have a car? If so, there's plenty of places about 20 mins drive away in the Mar Menor area.

London
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cartagena

We are flying into Alicante and will stay there for a few days and then we are hoping to travel along the coast and fly out of Malaga. We dont intend on hiring a car, we were hoping that we could access most places on public transport?

Will look into Torrvieja, maybe that will be a better option than Cartagena. IS there anywhere else along the coast between Alicante and Malaga that you would recommend stopping off.

Thanks for your help :-)

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
6 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cartagena

If you like beach, Los Alcazares is a nice little resort town to stay for 2 or 3 days. Hotel 525 is close to restaurants, bar and nice sandy beach (beach is about 10 minutes walk).

If you are looking for culture things, like archeology museums, than is Cartagena a better choice. Cartagena NH hotel at street Real 2. Plza. Héroes de Cavite. It is very close to the habour, pedestrian shopping street and the Roman Theater museum. However, Cartagena has no beach.

London
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cartagena

Thanks for that, we have gone with your recommendation and have booked into Hotel 525 for 3 nights.

We are were thinking of stopping off in Nerja for a few nights before we get to Malaga. Again I would be gratefull if you anyone had an advance on where to stay that would be near to beach, bars and restaurants.

Or if you would recommend stopping anywhere else between Cartagena and Malaga.

Thanks

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
6 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cartagena

I am happy that I can share my experience with you. You will not be disappointed to stay at HUSA 525. It is very comfortable and stylish. The pedestrian street is just around the corner with many restaurants and bars. The bars are open from early morning to late evening. So if you like, you can have breakfast there instead of having the breakfast in the hotel (more expensive). To go to the sandy beach just follow the same pedestrian street. It is also popular to cycle on the boulevard next to the beach. I think the cycling path along the sea is more than 30km. On the pedestrian street is a shop where you can rent a bike.

It is very long time ago that we have been to Nerja, so I don't have any recent experience to share with you. Parador Nerja looks very nice, but I don't know whether there are bars or restaurants close by.

I wish you have a very enjoyable holiday in Spain.

7. Re: Cartagena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 04:42
Get answers to your questions about Cartagena