We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Murcia

Galway
13 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Murcia

I may be moving to Murcia in October, working in San Javier. I'm from Ireland, and I'm 24. What are the rent prices like in Murcia and San Javier? What is the area like?

I'm quite interested in football and music, so I'm looking forward to heading to some Murcia games, and also hoping Cartagena make it into La Liga... What is the social life like in Murcia for young people? Would I be better off living in the city and travelling to San Javier to work, or just living in San Javier?

I'm sure I'll think of some more questions, thanks in advance!

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Murcia

I assume you are aware that Murcia city is approx 45 mins drive from San Javier, so it could be a bit of drag driving every day. SJ, like lots of the coastal areas, is very seasonal. There are a lot more people around in the summer months and school holidays. It is also quite Spanish, with the English more likely to have their holiday homes in nearby resorts like Los Alcazares, and on the nearby golf resorts.

Rental prices are likely to be cheaper in SJ than Murcia as it's only a small town, as against a city.

If you like music, every summer SJ hosts a jazz festival - end June/beg July which normally includes a few British acts (Tony Hadley last summer).

Cartagena is probably nearer to SJ than Murcia and is another lovely city.

SJ has plenty of shops, restaurants and bars as well as a newish shopping mall - Dos Mares, but not sure what the night life is like for young people. I would think Murcia probably has more going for it in that department. SJ gives the impression of being quite a sleepy town during the day, especially as most shops close for their siesta (besides the shopping mall).

You would definitely need a car as public transport is not very good in the area, but you do have a railway station at Balsicas which is approx 10/15 mins drive which takes you up to Alicante and down to Cartagena.

Galway
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Murcia

Thanks a million for your reply, that's very helpful!

How bad is the public transport? Would it be at all possible to get by without a car? Maybe if I were to use a bike? If I were to live in San Javier rather than Murcia or Cartagena would it be manageable?

What do you think the rental prices for accommodation are like in San Javier, very roughly? Is there one standard website that people use for finding accommodation in Spain?

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Murcia

Two sites worth looking at - www.latbus.com is the local bus service but the site is in Spanish, and www.eyeonspain.com - go into long term rentals for San Javier - looks like 500 euros a month seems about average. There are a lot more rental sites, it's all a matter of googling them.

4. Re: Moving to Murcia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Murcia
Recent Conversations