We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solmar car hire

Which Murcia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Solmar car hire

Hi, Any body used these recently at Murcia airport?

Have checked there website and they offer all upfront fees insurance etc and also offer full/full on fuel can anyone confirm this thanks.

165 replies to this topic
Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
5 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Solmar car hire

Hi Ive just returned from Murcia. We booked an automatic full to full in advance. It cost £160. - everyone seems to charge twice as much for automatics - Just before we travelled I checked prices again and the price had dropped considerably which was a bit annoying as i could have left it to the last minute and saved £50 however the cancellation fee was £25 and i didn't want to chance it as given others experiences it seemed likely to all go horribly wrong.

The pick up at the airport went smoothly and we weren't kept waiting. the office seemed a short distance away. there was no pressure or hassle to get any extras. We got a skoda diesel which was clean and new-ish - very nice.

The only problem was when it came to dropping off as we were kept waiting some time due to there being not enough staff to deal with people dropping off and picking up who all arrived at once. but we arrived at the airport in good time and so overall it was fine.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
114 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Solmar car hire

Just back from Murcia using Sol Mar! Never again, it said on voucher someone will meet you at airport, so was expecting someone outside maybe holding up a card, but no sole about, saw another chap with same voucher he said there should be a shuttle bus, so my husband went off on the bus while I waited with family! My husband returned saying it was a shambles getting the car! But it was a nice car what we asked for. On return my husband filled the tank but when he got to the parking the woman said it was not on the line enough and we had to go put more in,only a couple more euros went in until the pump kept clicking full. Took it back once again and she said we hadn't put any in and the needle hadn't moved (admittedly we didn't get a receipt), my husband even said smell my hands there's diesel on them. She eventually let us go!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Solmar car hire

Looks like I am stuck with Solmar as I only drive automatic and the price is a good £60 cheaper than anywhere else..... unless someone knows otherwise! And TBH I dont care about miserable staff or whatever, I just want to sort a car out...but How long is the drive from San Javier roughly? And are they usually sat in the minibus outside waiting? We have kids with us so don't want it to be too much of a faff.

thanks!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Solmar car hire

To where ?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Solmar car hire

to the car hire place from san javier airport ... :)

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Solmar car hire

murciaairportguide.com/solmar-car-hire-murci…

27. Re: Solmar car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 18:11
Edited: 15 June 2014, 18:11

Durham, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Solmar car hire

OK new poster but not new to trip advisor, We used Sol Mar three weeks ago booked through a special at Do You Spain, paid £102 for five day full to full hire.

Arrived around 9.30pm courteousy of a Ryan Air delay. Now bearing in mind Solmar are five minutes off site I went toarrivals hall no sign of their rep, checked outside on the road, no sign of them thought fair enough as our plane had been delayed so I called their office, they said stay tight we will be there in five minutes, three minutes later they arrived with mini bus, cases into the bus and off to their compound.

Was given the choice of three cars an Opel Corsa, a Ford Fiesta or a Peugeot 306 (???)

Took the Corsa it had 600 miles on the clock had stop start engine technology ( clutch must be in to start engine).

The lady in the office asked did I want the underbody / windscreen/ tyres and other extra insurance, I said no thanks she said no problem, no pressure, took an impression of my credit card, told me I had full to full and told me to return it full.

We had the car 5 days costing £102, had trips from San Pedro down to Cartegena, La Manga and up and down the coast between Torrejeva and Alicante, car was faultless used 39 Euros of fuel.

Returned the car the office was full as a flight had just landed, the lady in the garage came out and took care of my return, and helped put cases on mini bus.

There have been no additional charges to my credit card.

I have hired cars all over the world and expected a bad experience based on Spain's current reputation, this did not happen, I would highly recommend Sol Mar and Do you Spain.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 18:14
South East England...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Solmar car hire

I was disgusted with my booking in June 2014 with SolMar. I use Economy Car Hire and others regularly, travelling 6/7 times a year for the last 14 years, but have never felt so ripped off.

The “5 minute journey” to SolMar took nearly an hour. There was a huge queue at the airport, SolMar only had a small shuttle bus going back and forward and we finally got on I think the third trip it made while we waited. We then spent around 45 mins waiting in a packed out office with no obvious queuing system to try and get our car.

We were then charge €97 for fuel, the actual cost would be around €70. I realise all companies hike the price, no issue normally for a cheap rental, but this is total exploitation, especially on a return empty basis. They tried to sell me extra insurance, I showed them that I already had bought it via Economy, they said that was not as good, I would have to pay them for any issues then claim back from Economy.

I asked about having a return full deal, they said it would cost me €75 – and I still had to pay for all my fuel! They said this includes insurance. I said I already have it, they just shrugged.

Never again will I use this company!

Sale, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Solmar car hire

I travel to Murcia 6 times a year as we have a place out there.I have used various car hire company's through doyouspain and Economy car hire.The worst car hire company at the airport in San Javier is Dickmanns by a country mile.The problem with the airport car hire is that if 2 planes arrive there is a massive queue at the car hire desks.We have used Solmar on the last 2 visits and the van was not there but we only had to wait 5 minutes.Their office is in San Javier about 4 mins away but next to the coastal motorway slip road and also the Mercadona Supermarket so very handy.We have not had a bad car or waited to long to collect our car,yes they try and sell you additional Insurance but they all do that.I would say there staff are friendly and polite and we have not had any issues and will be using them again at the end of August.However reading the reviews on here it appears Alicante Airport is the problem.

Reply to: Solmar car hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted