We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly Car Rental

Which Murcia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North East England...
Level Contributor
356 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Firefly Car Rental

I know there are numerous threads on car hire at Murcia airport, but despite doing a search on here, I can't find anything about Firefly Car Hire. I've booked through Do You Spain and I know they are only a broker, not the car hire company, but I just can't find anything. They operate out of a van in the car park. I have used Dickmanns before, who I know got a bit of a slating on here, so I do get the van concept, just wondered if anyone had used Firefly and what their experience was. Thanks.

167 replies to this topic
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Hi beedee007,

I've never heard of them myself far less used them but the info is all there on the internet...

Web site: https://uk.fireflycarrental.com - just select your country of residence from the drop down list.

Who are they?: 'Firefly is a trademark of Hertz System, Inc' see foot of webpage.

If you are renting from Murcia San Javier, their website says: 'Off-airport location - Shuttle Service provided'.

For reviews, go here: http://www.reviewcentre.com and put Firefly Car Rental in the search field. There are a few reviews from Alicante Airport but didn't notice any from MJV. One of the reviews mentions they used to be called 'Advantage' but I've never heard of them either.

On the basis of the reviews, pay special attention to the terms of the 'Rental Qualifications & Requirements' at the foot of the Firefly Car Rental webpage, specifically the sections on

* Fuel

* Insurance & Waivers

* Payments

Good luck.

DD

North East England...
Level Contributor
356 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Thanks DD, have googled them and have found that they are new to the airport and are operational from end of June 2013. Have checked the voucher and it does say off-site, however, the directions are leave the terminal building, cross over to the parking lot, and then turn left, walk to the end and the "van" is there - pretty much the same instructions for when we booked with Dickmann last year. Have read terms and conditions, and to be honest, they're pretty much on par with other rental companies. So, it was a fairly good price, not that good that it was unbelievable so will give them a try. Fingers crossed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Hi beedee007,

I´m in Murcia at the moment, having arrived on Thursday and rented from Firefly.

They are in the airport car park, but it´s a very small airport, so we´re talking about a 3 minute walk from collecting your bag to arriving at their van.

Renting from a van in a car park was a new experience for me, but I found them to be helpful, professional and fluent in English (not to be taken for granted in Spain).

The only thing I would make sure you´re aware of is that on rentals of 4 days or longer they will charge you up front for a full tank of fuel and tell you to bring it back empty. This works for someone doing plenty of driving, but was not good for me as they wanted around €120 for the tank on a compact (Ford Focus/Vauxhall Astra) when I had only paid arond €60 for the 4 day rental and I was only travelling locally. I opted instead to downgrade to an economy (Ford Fiesta/Vauxhall Corsa) despite having pre paid, as the tank only cost me around €80.

They will also try and sell you an excess waiver at €6 per day, if you decline they will block €300 on your card for the excess and you will be liable for tow charges.

Their cars seemed new, the one I took had only11km on the clock!

So in summary... nice fleet, professional staff, close to the terminal, just make sure you don´t get stung paying for fuel you won´t use.

Hope this is helpful.

North East England...
Level Contributor
356 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Thanks ever so much Gershon O, you've put my mind at rest. They sound very similar to Dickmanns who we used last year. We've only booked an economy car, and are there for 14 days, so fuel wise, it will come back empty. Enjoy your hols. Beedee 007

Bristol
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Firefly Car Rental

We have just had a car from Firefly. They are part of Hertz.

We signed for the duel and extra insurance on our card for 169e but we have now received our credit card statement and they have put through £214.

I have e mailed twice for an explanation but not had a reply and I have also e mailed Doyouspain.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Firefly Car Rental

do NOT use firefly, we just got back from two weeks holiday in spain. got toally ripped off by this company. original 188e turned out to be 453e! staff was very rude-take it or leave it attitude. please please avoid firefly!

North East England...
Level Contributor
356 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Thanks for the replies - nbot sure what to do now.

Drogheda, Louth...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Hi There.

I recently returned from a holiday in Spain and rented my car through DO YOU SPAIN. I too had never heard of Firefly Car Rental but got a good price so just went with it. Well let me say 'Never Again'. After waiting in a queue for over 45 mins I was told my car car still had not arrived from their holding area (wherever that was) and when the car did arrive,it was an Opel Meriva 1.4 petrol, it looked like it just came out of a car rally with lots of dents and scrathes. Looking at their other cars in the parking lot, they didn't look any better.

On my journey I noticed I could not pick up any radio stations on the stereo and when I looked I was annoyed to see that there was no aerial on the car either. The vehicle I received was in such poor shape that the clutch was starting to fail as there was no power in the car when I accelerated. In fact when going up inclines on the motorway the car speed would drop to a MAX of 80 KPH with my foot to the floor.

It was by far the worst rental car I have ever had and I have rented quite a few over the years. I wouldn't recommend FIREFLY to anyone. You would be better off paying the extra and going with a recognised supplier.

Best of luck...

Scotland
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Firefly Car Rental

I have also just returned from Murcia after hiring a car from Firefly booked via Doyouspain. my invoice was for 115.80euros and my credit card was charged £186.50

Emailed both companies but no response.

I've used Doyouspain 4 times before without any problems but if they don't protect or support their customers from their agents then it's going to cost them, there's plenty of other companies to use

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Hi Tazjane, Is the extra charge for fuel??? Or did you get full/full??

Reply to: Firefly Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted