We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly Car Rental

North East England...
Level Contributor
356 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Firefly Car Rental

I know there are numerous threads on car hire at Murcia airport, but despite doing a search on here, I can't find anything about Firefly Car Hire. I've booked through Do You Spain and I know they are only a broker, not the car hire company, but I just can't find anything. They operate out of a van in the car park. I have used Dickmanns before, who I know got a bit of a slating on here, so I do get the van concept, just wondered if anyone had used Firefly and what their experience was. Thanks.

172 replies to this topic
Bromyard, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Firefly Car Rental

just come back from Murcia...Firefly rental...what a rip off...standing in queque for nearly an hour for paperwork from side of van...had internet cheap booking that says all insurances enclosed but still end up with a bill for four times the original cost...and as always...the fuel bit...take full bring back empty.......

no instructions...even basc ones like light switches...never again....

is anyone ever happy with car hire rates that end up so different to the internet voucher?

dublin
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Firefly Car Rental

hi ,booked our car a Renault clio throught do you spain for 17 days 179 euro with dickmans have just changed and upgraded to ford focus diesel with firefly for 159 euro for the same period ,assured by do you spain that they are a reputable company with a modern fleet . sounds a great deal . incidently if we didn't upgrade the price was 100 euro a saving of 79 euro . sounds like a new company looking for business . we go next weekend so will let you know how we get on . robert

Scotland
Level Contributor
16 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Firefly Car Rental

I think I would rather walk than hire with Firefly. Their tactics are simple - offer the cheapest upfront rental then try and stiff you when you arrive on site.

It may cost more with others but when you are on holiday the last thing you want to start the holiday is stress!

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
34. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Hi

I am sorry but we would not recommend this company

Whilst the car , speed of service etc were all OK we have had a bad experience

We took a waiver policy out prior to travelling so as to not take out the optional offered.

We arrived to collect the car and I informed the clerk that I had this policy and therefore wouldn't need the additional cover. We were hassled and rushed by the company to get the car out of the car park at the airport before the ticket expired. I inadvertently signed the document and they had charged for this cover. I have tried to dispute this charge to no avail

If you do use them watch their tactics and check what you are signing.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Would echo most of the sentiments of this topic completely, have just returned from Alicante having hired a car from Firefly, Never again. Vehicle was very dented and in generally poor condition, the full tank of petrol deal is such a scam. They will charge you for a full tank regardless of the fact that you have only used a small amount.

I paid £140 to Easycar in the UK for the rental and all other insurances, no excess etc. I've returned home to a charge on my credit card of over £170, I have no idea what its for. These people are very dodgy, I think what they do is charge for the extras hoping that you will not pursue them.

in total I have paid over £300 for a car for 7 days so beware.

Barnsley, United...
1 post
Save Reply
36. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Just hired a car from Murcia airport from firefly and words simply cannot express my disappointment at their customer service standards. Initially having paid for the rental of a Renault Clio we were given a golf which she claimed was new but in actual fact had done 30000 km and from a peeled off sticker on the boot had previously belonged to another car hire firm sixt. She then proceeded to tell us that we owed them about 170 euros for petrol and tax and extra insurance. We explained that we did not require the extra insurance and she seemed quite upset. I then asked to add another driver as I was going to be driving 650 Kms to Barcelona. I was surprised to find in their agreement that a charge of around 16 euros for 4 days would be charged for an additional driver as all previous cars I have hired come with one extra driver free. However I needed another driver and then she decided that if I didn't pay the extra insurance she could not add another driver even though this was not mentioned in their agreement. I declined and she pointed in the general direction of the airport entrance and said that the car would be there. After 20 mins of searching we could not find the car and returned to the van. She made us wait 20 mins and then was very abrupt as she took us to the car which was nowhere near where she said it was. My advice to anyone is to AVOID firefly at all costs

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Firefly Car Rental

used firefly from Alicante last week...waited an age after using a ticket system nicely hidden around a corner from the office. I refused all offers of insurances and signed the paperwork..all was ok until a few days later I looked in detail at the paperwork..charges for insurance and vat added to both fuel and the insurances at a total cost of 70euro..none of which I felt I had verbally agreed to..I argued my case on return of the car but just got a shrug and pointed at my signature ...beware??read all paperwork from firefly before signing

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Just back last week from Alicante...Firefly the worst car rental firm I have ever used..On arrival had to queue an age after finding/using a ticket system last seen at the meat counter in the local supermarket?Offered all sorts of insurances which I refused but unfortunately for me I didn't read the paperwork before signing.Was charged for same and also vat on the fuel charge,never had that before..On return got a shrug and pointed at my signature..basically saying you signed for it,get over it!..My fault and I'm sure not on my own on this one.

Please read all their paperwork before signing.Better still use a more well known firm.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Used Firefly from Pisa Airport. No one was at the desk when we arrived at the car rental building. Someone showed up after calling a mobile number (expensive). Everything was fine apart from the usual tricks of trying to sell you insurance, gps etc.

Then they did the usual scam of charging for a full tank of fuel (at double the price). I didnt ask for it and didnt want it, hence why I am posting this review as I will be taking it up with the company. They blamed the booking process I used (auto europe) and said it wasnt their problem. I'm afraid it is their problem and will be there problem until I get a refund.

Car was fine, just a fiat panda, and returns was fairly straight forward, he just looked at the mileage (no idea why, it was an "unlimited mileage" contract..... anyway. Idiots will be idiots.

Best of luck.

Wilmslow, England...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Firefly Car Rental

DO NOT USE FIREFLY!

They scam you for the most expensive tank of fuel ever! They charged us 110 euros for it and all we spent was 19 euros. We tried to dispute this but to no avail. It really put a dampener on the last day of our holiday. I will always be checking the small print in future.

Reply to: Firefly Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Murcia
Recent Conversations