We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly Car Rental

North East England...
Level Contributor
368 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Firefly Car Rental

I know there are numerous threads on car hire at Murcia airport, but despite doing a search on here, I can't find anything about Firefly Car Hire. I've booked through Do You Spain and I know they are only a broker, not the car hire company, but I just can't find anything. They operate out of a van in the car park. I have used Dickmanns before, who I know got a bit of a slating on here, so I do get the van concept, just wondered if anyone had used Firefly and what their experience was. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
176 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
51. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Oh my god, Fire fly!!!!! avoid avoid avoid! ended up paying 3 times over the price that was quoted to me, 70euro for the week seemed ok at first after all it was september, 260euro was charged to my card after taking out full insurance to avoid excess charges and insurance sales at the counter! after complaining to carhire3000 they told me that was their rates! i got a clio after asking for a focus, i work in the motor trade and they are not in the same class, only got the full charge when i got home! please avoid! could have went with a reputable company and got a bmw for the week for the same price!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Firefly Car Rental

I would never use Fire Fly again. I had a two hour wait for my car in Alicante airport this week. This is the end of October not mid summer.

Then what appears to be a cheap deal soon turns into a rip off. I was charged 94 euros for a tank of petrol. The tank capacity of the Opel Corsa is 40 litres so my enrol works out at 2.35 per litre. How can they get away with such a rip off? They know that after waiting so long, you won't waste more time arguing.

I had bought various extra insurances when I booked but FireFly wouldn't accept it because I bought through AtlasChoice- the consolidator.

So 3 days hire has cost £200 out of season....

Just be aware that all is not hat it seems when you book with Fire Fly.

Mentioned in this post
Alicante Airport
Alicante Airport
Alicante, Spain
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Firefly Car Rental

HI

I used firefly at Seville airport. I didn't get the car which was agreed. I returned the car on time, with a full tank of petrol and had no incidents, plus I was fully insured anyway.

When I returned home I noticed they'd kindly taken 47.00 GBP from my Visa card. No explanation or noticfication and they continue to ignore my emails.

Mentioned in this post
Seville
Seville
Province of Seville, Spain
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Firefly Car Rental

I just used FIREFLY CAR RENTAL at Pisa airport.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Their cars consist of old Hertz stock with over 150,000km on the clock. They are all banged up and full of dents (took 15 mins to inspect and note all of these before and after).

The insides are filthy and smelly. My car looked as if a homeless person had slept in it for over a month.

They let me check out ALL their available cars on the lot and they were all as bad.

+++ They charged me €95 to fill the tank (non-negotiable).

Avoid like the plague.

Alex

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Leicester, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
55. Re: Firefly Car Rental

I have used both Dickmanns and Firefly from Murcia airport, both equally good. Booked them through Do-you-Spain,. You can cancel the booking for free. I booked firefly 6 times and cancelled, started at €240 in August, to €126.48 in September, this was for 3 week stay in September. Be aware they try to get you to buy insurance and tow truck insurance, as I have a car hire insurance I declined, and they took a deposit of €800 (€400 each), slightly worried. Of course as with all car hirers, they charge for fuel.

Upon return car was checked out straight away. I did think they charged me for "damages", but on checking, it took them until after the hire car return date to take off the fuel charge.

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
York, United Kingdom
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
56. Re: Firefly Car Rental

DO NOT USE, used two different euro too sterling exchange rates when we hired two cars at the same time, picked up at the same office at Barcelona, they charged one at close to the going rate, the other was .42 of a percentage point higher. Our bank/Credit card company won't do anything because we agreed to firefly using their own exchange rate, "well you do don't you" never crossed my mind to set the exchange rate!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Chatham, Kent, Uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Firefly Car Rental

We rented a 4D A/C Ford Fiesta for 5 days from Firefly at Malaga Airport in November (pre-booked very cheaply through Jet2.com) and it was fine for the price. I'm certainly glad that I didn't visit this thread previously! Their office was downstairs (Level Minus -1), actually with the cars in the Malaga airport car hire carpark (a short walk past the "big boys" carhire desks and down one level)! We had to pay upfront for a full tank of petrol (to be returned "empty") plus another €7 (plus tax) per day "extra" CDW (even though we had our own personal excess policy) but then we didn't have to worry about dents or scratches as there was no inspection on driving off or returning the car. The car was fine - fairly new, clean with minor "parking" scratches but no dents. Paying the extra €7 per day meant we saved between €10 and €15 per night by parking free in the streets rather than paying for hotel garages! Returning the car was easy - we just parked in a space near the Firefly office, dropped the keys off and headed upstairs to Departures - no inspection delays! Apart from the fuel (which we more than used up) the carhire cost us about £12 per day (£6 Jet2.com + £6 CDW) with no worries - pretty good! I'd previously hired cheaply at Malaga airport with Goldcar (through Auto Europe) but the queue for Goldcar was horrendous. My fears with Firefly were similar but unwarranted. You take a ticket on arriving at their office and although10 people were ahead of us in the queue (!) we had our car within 15 minutes. Perhaps we were just lucky - generally I find car hire is only slightly less stressful than flying!

Mentioned in this post
Malaga Airport
Malaga Airport
Malaga, Spain
Europe
Europe
World
Huddersfield...
1 post
Save Reply
58. Re: Firefly Car Rental

I Just returned from spain having used firefy for the 2nd time. They recently changed their name from advantage which was their name the first time I used them. and if I'd known this then I wouldn't have used them a second time they are absolute conmen. Do you Spain quoted 127 eur when I got the bill with added tax, insurance, and fuel it came to 265 eur. Avoid at all costs!!!

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Rugby, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
59. Re: Firefly Car Rental

DO NOT USE FIREFLY CAR RENTAL!!!

We used them in Alicante in November, it was a terrible experience. We hired the car easily over the internet and paid upfront - great, no hidden costs.......

Firstly we had to wait 1 and half hours to collect the car, there was no waiting area we just stood in a car park.

We were made to take out a additional 40 Euro insurance, which covered all damage except for key loss. And then had to pay 100 euros deposit to cover used fuel. This was never highlighted when booking.

Then when we returned the car on the specified date in the same sound condition as we received it, including a full tank of fuel, we thought all would be OK and our fuel deposit be returned in due course. Mistake.

We are now 2 months down the line and still in dispute, it turns out the 40 euro insurance is not a company policy, and the 100 euro fuel deposit hasn't been returned. Firefly have actually argued we used the car an additional day, hence they have kept our deposit and are denying charging us for the additional insurance. We have provided proof of rental dates and our flights, but so far to no avail.

Conclusion - spend the extra 10 quid/euro and use a more reputable car rental company.

Mentioned in this post
Alicante
Alicante
Costa Blanca, Spain
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Do not use firefly!!!

I like others was given forceful tactics at Murcia airport to take out their insurance, which I declined as I had arranged it in the UK. The car it self looked like it had been in a demolition derby so I took loads of photos.

On return the following day there was no one at the airport as had been arranged conveniently and on my return to the UK I found out I had been charged 100 Euro for fuel, on investigation through car trawler

I was informed it was for 75.68 euro fuel & 20 euro refuel charge.

I am adamant that the car was full and even had fuel receipts from an hour earlier. I took photos of the exterior & interior for fear of being charged for damage not caused by myself, but did not think of taking a photo of the fuel/ dashboard area.

Blatant, horrible people ripping off good natured tourists.... stay well clear.

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
Reply to: Firefly Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted