We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firefly Car Rental

North East England...
Level Contributor
374 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Firefly Car Rental

I know there are numerous threads on car hire at Murcia airport, but despite doing a search on here, I can't find anything about Firefly Car Hire. I've booked through Do You Spain and I know they are only a broker, not the car hire company, but I just can't find anything. They operate out of a van in the car park. I have used Dickmanns before, who I know got a bit of a slating on here, so I do get the van concept, just wondered if anyone had used Firefly and what their experience was. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
176 replies to this topic
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Many people have come on here (including moi) criticizing Firefly for their awful customer service, their dreadful attitude, their hidden charges, their fuel-empty policy, etc. And remember, I was burnt by them also.

But, now I would like to thank Firefly. I travel to Spain at least five times a year. I have just completed my third stint in Spain for 2014 and as a result of Firefly's dreadful record I used transfer companies. I could get from airport to resort for €18 and cheaper if I had a group of four or more. I did not have the concern that somebody would crash into the rented car. I had no worries about returning the car to Firefly to again get ripped off. I did not have to pay petrol charges etc. I have just had the three most stress-free holidays ever.

Thank you Firefly (because of you, I won't be renting a car again). Multiply my story by hundreds (if not thousands) and it is a no-brainer to see that Firefly get nothing, the car-brokerage firms get nothing. And all of us have a better and cheaper holiday without unnecessary stress - Thank You Firefly and this is Goodbye not Adios to your company and pathetic staff.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 20:58
Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Newcastle and...
1 post
Save Reply
82. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Used Firefly Murcia recently it was the worst hire car experience ever, charged a fast car return fee and was told I would get fuel refund which never happened stay away.

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
dublin
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
83. Re: Firefly Car Rental

hi have used both firefly and dickmans and always got nearly new cars presented in good condition and clean ,only downside is the cost charged for a tank of fuel about 130 euro for a kia ceed diesel would have thought about 80 euro . however we have booked them firefly again for our September visit to Murcia .

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
84. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Do NOT use Firefly, our Ford focus broke down 3 hours drive away from where we hired the car at Rome airport. They've tried to charge us €40 for the breakdown recovery + €30 for the tank being empty

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
dublin
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
85. Re: Firefly Car Rental

not really a valid complaint as if you had fuel in the car it wouldn't have broken down . I get this all the time as a mercanic I get called out to cars that have run out of fuel and then when I charge for the callout they wonder why I charge

Los Alcazares, Spain
Level Contributor
894 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Firefly Car Rental

The truth finally outs. I had imagined that the vehement propaganda aimed at individual car hire companies originated in the main from rival car hire companies (and I do not tar everyone with the same brush, I acknowledge that some of the posts regarding poor experiences will be genuine). However thanks to the post by Leprosy I now appreciate that the anti car hire bile is in fact posted by transfer agents who are trying to scare people away from car hire altogether and of course into booking outrageously priced airport transfers, notwithstanding the consequent impact on freedom to explore the area this would bring.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Firefly Car Rental

El Patio Cuarto, get one thing straight, I have nothing to do with any Transfer company or any other car hire firm. I paid €18 each way for transfers recently. It was well worth the money and I will be using transfer companies as often as I can. The carhire brokerages have not resolved the Firefly issue either and they do not give the customer the choice.

I have been renting cars for years and all have been good experiences except for Firefly. When you book with many car hire brokerages you do not know what car hire firm you are dealing with until you press the 'Pay' button. Until, I have a decent choice with known rental companies I will not be renting a car through any brokerage again. But, you are right, transfer options at this moment outweigh anything any car hire firm can offer. Therefore, why not use the transfers. Customers talk with their feet. Firefly made me walk with my feet.

Have a look at Tripadvisor posts. Firefly by a distance is the worst carhire company to deal with. Personally, I never want to deal with them again. There are a few other car hire companies which do not provide the best of services either, but Firefly takes the biscuit.

Therefore, ElPatioCuatro, please wake up and smell the coffee. I would much prefer to rent a car. But Firefly have driven me away from renting. Why would I deal with them again? Nobody from Firefly or any of the brokerages has come on here with any explanation.

And Robert Carter you informed us that you were scammed of €50 by Firefly and still you are happy to do business with them! (I fully recognise your right to do business with anybody you wish) but the bottom line is that you were scammed out of €50 by them.

dublin
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
88. Re: Firefly Car Rental

I don't remember saying I was scammed by firefly I do remember saying that their fuel cost are high ,they do charge about a euro per litre above pump prices and a 12 euro refuelling charge

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Firefly Car Rental

Dear Robert,

The following is an exact quote from your post:- "hi have used both firefly and dickmans and always got nearly new cars presented in good condition and clean ,only downside is the cost charged for a tank of fuel about 130 euro for a kia ceed diesel would have thought about 80 euro ."

Also, you said you were a mechanic and therefore would be au fait with petrol tank sizes etc.

I would believe you when you said €80 is the correct charge, but Firefly charged you €130.

Being Irish like yourself, I am trying to get to terms with the fact that you think you were not scammed. Am I missing something? Answer:- I don't think so. (no offence meant)

dublin
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
90. Re: Firefly Car Rental

hi ,I agree fuel cost are over the top but we have tried other companies that operate a full/ return empty tank policy and they are all about the same ,but in general we have found both dickmans and firefly good to deal

with , incidently firefly will have a desk at the arrivals hall in Murcia from the first of august ,and as said they are part of hertz which is involved with Ryanair . but I suppose its like everything good news is no news so only the bad stuff ends up on the blogs

Mentioned in this post
Murcia
Murcia
Region of Murcia, Spain
Reply to: Firefly Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Murcia