We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spanish simm cards

bolton
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
spanish simm cards

just been hit with a high mobile phone bill,my own fault i know,but was thinking of buying a pay as you go spanish sim for my next venture out therein june,theres so many websites offering the sim cards i wondered if anyone had ideas on which are the better networks etc and would it be better to purchase in advance from the uk...cheers

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
4,809 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: spanish simm cards

There are a few things to consider before you decide whether a Spanish sim would work out cheaper or not. Was the bulk of you bill for outgoing calls and texts? if so the difference in price is probably not worth the bother because international calls to the uk from a pay as you go Spainish sim work out about the same price. Was the bulk of your bill for incoming calls? if so you would save a lot because the international call would be charged to whoever was ringing you, not good if it is the teenagers left at home using your house phone to ring you though. If it was incoming calls you can always set your phone to be barred incoming calls when roaming, you can still receive texts. Check that your handset is not sim locked to your present service provider because if it is the Spanish sim won't work. If you do decided to go for a Spanish sim get one in the uk before you go, you can then let everybody know what number to get you on, if you wait till you get back to Benidorm it will cost you loads to let everybody back home know the number. If it was outgoing calls just get yourself a prepaid card from Andy's phones in the indoor market and use that to ring from a payphone 6 Euros gets you about 250 minutes of international calls

Benidorm
Level Contributor
6,351 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spanish simm cards

I would say get a spanish sim asap. Firstly you won't be charged when anyon calls you and you won't fet a big bill cos it's prepaid. Cost of one is minimal. It is less than 50€ but you get most of it back in credits, certainly over €40. Dunno what it is to buy one in uk though.

3. Re: spanish simm cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2009, 13:33
UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spanish simm cards

can anyone recommend a place to get the spanish simm cards in the uk.

We're in Spain for a holiday in July.

It'll be useful to bring both our phones with us with spanish sims with a few pounds on for emergencies.

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
4,809 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: spanish simm cards

As I said in my previous post if you are only going for 2 weeks once a year it is not worth getting a spanish sim card, calls to the uk are no cheaper you pay for an international call whichever sim you are using. Just don't sit chatting on a mobile, if it is a quick call fine if not use one of the many phone offices, calls from there are about 26 cents per minute or get a phone card 6 euros will get you 250 minutes to the uk

Benitachell
Level Contributor
396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spanish simm cards

The phone card you want to get is the Eurodirect one:

http://www.europhonecards.org/

Scunthorpe
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: spanish simm cards

Try ebay for spanish sim in UK

England
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: spanish simm cards

Call are cheaper using a Spanish sim card.

I have had a Spainish sim card for years, I bought it with credit already on it from Andy's phone shop in the inside market.

It is an Amena card and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

I have used it in Benidorm, Torremolinos and Tenerife.

The only thing you need to check is that your phone is unlocked and can accept different sim cards.

My sim card cost 30 euros then, with 11 euros credit on it and all I had to do, was swap over the cards and I was connected ready to go.

The Amena one that I have charges 50 cents per minute to the UK , I was previously paying £1.50 with T-Mobile PAYG.

You only need to top it up once every 12 months, so even if you only go to Spain once or twice a year, you can put as little as 10 euros on it and it will keep you contected and the sim card will pay for itself in the money saved phoning the UK.

If your phone is unlocked and you go and see Andy, then he will tell you which network may have a deal on at that time, Amena, Movistar etc.

Apart from the different tariffs, some are even cheaper than 50 cents depending on the time of day, but I just got a straight all day/night tariff, then the only other thing to check is the top-up time....the majority of them are 12months, but some are 9 months.

Why buy in the UK when you can get a personal service to fit your requirements in Benidorm.?

England
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: spanish simm cards

connected......

UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spanish simm cards

i was thinking more of for calling each other (mobile to mobile) when in spain.

we wont always be together

I might go out for an early morning walk with my eldest, while wife + youngest sleep in :-)

or if we get separated when in valencia

so is it still worth buying 2 x spanish sims for that ?

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm