We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Benidorm - a personal view

Which Benidorm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Benidorm - a personal view

I'd like to share a few brief comments on our visit to Benidorm last week.

First I have to state that my wife and I run a bar in Majorca, but since it's very quiet, we wanted a change of scenery, and decided on a week's break in Benidorm. We took our 12 year old so with us.

The first 4 days we spent at the Benidorm Plaza Hotel, and though overall we were happy with it (89 pounds sterling for 4 days for 3 people!) I didn't like their breakfasts at all. The place is also not very convenient for the night life, but it was such an amazing price we couldn't (and didn't) complain.

The Plaza couldn't accomodate us for the final 3 nights, so we booked at the Don Pancho (about 60 pounds a night) but although it was significantly more expensive, we definitely thought it was worth the extra. The food was superb, the room was more spacious, the service was better, and it was right on the doorstep of where we wanted to be.

The entertainment n the resort was also excellent - we saw a good variety, mostly comics, and if you'll forgive me, I'd like to give them a brief review.

We saw Tony Scott and thought he was good, not brilliant, but good, and then we went to see Rikki Stevens at Wheel Tappers. He seems to have a bad chest, but again he was good entertainment, without being outstanding. The following night we saw Abba-esque at Stardust, and thought they were excellent, followed by Jonathan James, also very good, but our definite favourite was Gary George. He barely told a joke, and was ad-libbing with the audience, but he was superb, and by far the best show we saw. We were disappointed with Albi Senior, who seemed annoyed to be playing to such a small audience, and seemed to have a chip on his shoulder, Tom Pepper was OK, but a bit dated with his gags, Mathew Fisher (without his Dad) was OK but his banter was a bit tired and amateurish, Emma Louise was good at Sinatra's but there was nobody in, and Sticky Vicky was overhyped - an aging woman pretending to pull things out of her various appendages - pl-ease.

I'm not PC, but all the comics were overplaying the racist card - jokes about people's colour just really aren't very funny any more, particularly with younger people - they need to work harder on their material.

Finally the crime situation. I live in Magalluf, and see a few things during the course of the year, but I'd heard about crime problems in Benidorm, and we were wary. We didn't suffer directly, but we were chatting to a couple - she was walking with crutches, and he's had a bit too much to drink, and they reckoned they'd been mugged twice that same night, although she'd fought them off with her sticks! We witnessed a couple of girls fighting in the street, and there did seem to be a fair bit of unease when you passed people in the street at night. We saw a few police cars on the streets, and we were never really bothered by the "Props" on the street, although not sure whether they're legal or not.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, and we'd go again.

1. Re: Benidorm - a personal view

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2008, 18:02
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Benidorm - a personal view

i was a prop in benidorm over the summer and of course they are legal!! they are just tryin to get ppl in there bars not any criminal activity!!

Benidorm
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Benidorm - a personal view

I think the ambiguity is because there are some areas where they are legal, and some where they are not and it isn't always clear what's what.

The new town (Rincon) end is fine, but the word is that it's illegal in the Old Town. I say 'the word is' because props for small businesses in the Old Town get chased and cautioned by the police, yet its OK for Terra Mitica, Aqualandia and the like to prop there, even with that noisy bloke on the tall bike riding round with blasting speakers. Humph...

Anyway, I'm glad that overall Majorcabound and his family enjoyed their time in Benidorm.

Regards

Chris.

Two Palms / Music Hall

(without props)

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Benidorm - a personal view

Gina Cafe B

You seem to take exception to my comment that they might not be legal.

You worked as a Prop (or PR as they are called elsewhere) - so you have a Spanish NIF number, a contract from your employer and this activity is sanctioned by the local authority?

In many resorts in Spain they are allowed only when licenced by the local authority, and in parts of Mallorca they are now outlawed - ie it is a criminal activity.

Even when it is allowed they can be a nuisance, when as a tourist family you are walking down a street and are confronted by an unknown youth, often shouting about offers you really are not interested in. Many tourists find them a pest. They weren't a particular problem in Benidorm, I just asked the question.

dorset
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Benidorm - a personal view

very interested in your views on the comedians in beni... i go every year just to watch the comics and have to agree that albi senior as much a great comic he can be, he does seem to work with a chip on his shoulder, the times i have watched him you always sense he could walk off any minute in a huff if anyone heckles him talks to loudly.. that said he is a good comic just needs to accept where he is and the crowd he's playing to.

tony scott is prob the most popular comic in beni and if you watch him twice in 1 night which i have you will find he does change the act slightly so he would be hard to better.

tom pepper is good but not as good as he thinks he is.. bit of a name dropper and the acts very dated

jonathan james must have improved in the last 2years because when i saw him he was one of those acts that did'nt know if he was a singer or a comic and in the end i thought was neither.

gary george is i would say the best comic in beni as like you say he just bounces off the crowd with what seems like ad libs and tells very few jokes but gets the most laughs.

comics i'd say that are worth a visit are danny downing, mike curtis,gary skyner if he's on and jimmy carol another great comic.. and comics to give a swerve to the mad moiri who had the worst timing in comic history and danny dean .. just dont bother.

and billy fontane another good one

Benidorm
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Benidorm - a personal view

I first saw and worked with the Junior Johnson, 'the Mad Maori' nearly twenty years ago and I never saw him go down badly. Even in weeks when the resident audience was duff he would come off well.

There was a gap of some 14 or 15 years between me last seeing him in England and finding him working out here in Benidorm and I thought he was just as good as ever and I've never seen him go down less than well with an audience out here either. He also has a great reputation with people I know in Blackpool where he has done many resident seasons.

I doubt he remembers me today, but he was a very generous person to me in many ways when I was just a young man with an uncertain aspiration to be entertainer, and I shall always be grateful to him and the many entertainers like him who were an inspiration and a source of moral support and confidence in an area where many people are only interested in themselves.

Long may he continue to entertain us.

Regards

Chris

www.twopalms.biz

www.realbenidorm.net/musichall

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Benidorm - a personal view

Bob

You and I must be on the same wavelength!

I live in Spain, so don't need to go anywhere for the Sun, Sea, Beach, cheap drinks etc, but since Mallorca is so quiet,and our bar is not open again until March, it was nice for us to go somewhere where there is a bit of life, and a few tourists.

Frankly there isn't much that would attract me back to Benidorm, other than the entertainment, but that would probably be enough. I'd like to see Albi Senior again, as I'd heard he was good - maybe he just had an off night, and going at the time we did there were one or two venues that were shut, so we may try another week in late January, early February - is there much going on then?

Also we have a couple of dogs, does anyone know of any accomodation which allows pets? If so we might even go over on the ferry.

South Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
556 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Benidorm - a personal view

Just came back from Benidorm today. Never seen it so quiet. A lot of the Cabaret clubs were shut earlier in the week but re-opened last night.

We were sorry to miss Tony Scott - couldn't find him on anywhere but managed to see Jonathan James twice, once at the Palladium and again at the Zodiac.

Was sorry to here that Junior (the Mad Maori) has not been well and is home in Britain recovering. We always enjoy his act. Saw Stevie Nelson at Talk of the Coast when it reopened last night. He always gives a 110%. Martin Kent also put on a good show.

We were wary at night , more so because of posts here but although up and down Calle Gerona and the Square did not see any trouble or crime. Must have been lucky.

dorset
Level Contributor
231 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Benidorm - a personal view

would just like to clear up my point on the mad moiri, i don't doubt he is a top bloke and i was'nt saying otherwise, i was making a point on him as a comic.. he has many fans on here who rave about him so i thought i'd check him out and i was very dissapointed but maybe if i saw him again i might change my mind

and majorcabound i have never been in jan/feb so dont know what its like then but some say you get more acts out of season than in july but cant be sure. but i think there is never a bad time to visit beni.. where else can you watch 3 or 4 comics a night every night for a week and not watch the same comic twice

10. Re: Benidorm - a personal view

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about Benidorm