We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Flamingo Oasis........What,s going wrong?

Herts
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Flamingo Oasis........What,s going wrong?

I think I am correct in saying this hotel was No1 on TA for some considerable time, but now it’s slipped to No15 in order of merit. Even more worrying is the fact it would have slipped even further in the rankings had it not been for the reviewers who, of late, have opted for the club rooms. It can’t be the early morning sunbed dash since that’s been a feature of the hotel for years, so what’s going wrong?

We are booked again for January so beginning to worry. I would appreciate your views.

Auldyin

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Flamingo Oasis........What,s going wrong?

Its all about the club rooms and suits now.

England, United...
Level Contributor
733 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Flamingo Oasis........What,s going wrong?

The only things I can tell you is from my own experience. I have stayed there 4 times, and can honestly say I will never return, I told the management this on my last visit. September 2008 wasn't that good, but I just thought it was a blip, so went again in March this year. I knew about the refurb work on the top floors before I went, so when they told me we were on the 21st floor I straight away questioned it, but was told that the work was near on finished. Not so, we were woken at 8am every morning with drilling and banging. To add to this we were kept awake until 4 sometimes 6 am with the stag & hen parties on our floor, fighting, vomiting, playing loud music. We complained and told we couldn't move as they had no rooms available. Security was good, but as soon as they left, it started again. This went on for 5 nights in total, 6th night, we went back to our room to find a note saying we HAD to move rooms, as they wanted to start refurbishing that floor. We moved, the room smelled terrible, the TV didn't work, they wouldn't bring the fridge we'd paid for it was not good.

The stag & hen parties "took over" you couldn't get a seat in the bar area, they were falling down drunk

and the language was disgusting. The manager agreed it wasn't right, but did nothing about it. The food was not up to the standard we had on first going,cheaper cuts of meat, not as much choice.

What annoys me the most is that us, and families, pay for 1 or 2 weeks for a "proper" holiday, and it's ruined by these parties. It was March this year we were there, we are going to Beni in 4 weeks but staying elswhere. The majority of the hotel were up in arms about the drunken rowdy behaviour, so if, like us they have voted with their feet it will be a much quicker decline than antcipated.

Herts
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Flamingo Oasis........What,s going wrong?

Sorry Benigirl, but when we were last January we were led to believe it was only floors 23 & 24 that were to be refurbished. Are you saying there are more floors now being utilised as club rooms/suites.

Auldyin

England, United...
Level Contributor
733 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Flamingo Oasis........What,s going wrong?

Hi Auldyin, that's what we were lead to believe too. They were definately working on floor 22 ( I should do they were right above us, lol) the first 6 days we were there, then when we got the note to say about moving, we didn't move until the next day as it was late when we got in and found the note. When we moved that day, they had all the corridor covered in plastic and the workmen were in some of the rooms on that floor.

When we asked reception why we couldn't move before, but were told to now, they said they were refurbishing that floor. I never went up to have a look, but met another couple who had moved from that floor too, and they thought the same as us, that it was floors 23 & 24 only. They had also requested a move because of the fighting and screaming, and were given the same reply as us. The workmen had started on the next room to them on the 21st floor, they were working from each end towards the middle, and we were room 2107 in the middle. I don't know if these are club rooms or not, as on the reviews they don't put the room numbers, more's the pity!!

Wales
Level Contributor
419 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Flamingo Oasis........What,s going wrong?

I've just come back from a week there as part of a group of 17 males (ages 18 - 51). They were offering a room of 5 for £1000 for the week. So £200 for a week all inclusive for guys on the beer as you can imagine is an unbelievable deal. There was another group of 20+ guys there the same weekend, and other various smaller hen/girl parties, at those prices you can see why.

Having said that there was no aggro as far as I could see from anyone. The reception knew what they were doing on arrival, placing us in rooms facing out the back and many floors apart. There were plenty of famlies and older couples/ foursomes that seemed to be enjoying themselves. The language was a bit choice around the pool areaf from the other group on day 1 but that soon disappears after a late night.

We spent most of our time in the bar area, but the Fiesta bar downstairs was always packed with familes etc so we didn't appear to be inconveniencing anyone.

The food was fine in my view. It's not top restaurant stuff but what buffet is? It's typical hotel buffet lots of guests fare, well presented and you could always find something you liked.

One thing I would mention is the service in the hotel is 100% 10/10. From the reception staff, to the cleaners, restaurant staff nad bar staff, there were all on the top of their game, pleasant and efficient.

The hotel didn't seem to cope with the rain very well, a few leakes appearing all over the hotel.

So in summary a top notch hotel in my view. I can totally see how someone may have a bad experience if a group of youths run wild and during the summer months, this could be the case, so I'm guessing the increase in stag and hen dos is contributable to a dip in rating.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Flamingo Oasis........What,s going wrong?

No disrespect mate but this is the reason normal familys on holiday are starting to shun this place, a rod for their own back.

Manchester
Level Contributor
341 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Flamingo Oasis........What,s going wrong?

I have to agree with Smoggy, there is no way I would take my 2 children to a hotel that has a lot of stag and hen parties there.

I know that not all groups are the same but it only takes one idiot to get a bit carried away on the "free" booze to ruin it for everybody there.

I go away every year with my mates and stay in the Orange and that hotels standards have gone down purely because the amount of stag parties staying there. It won't put me off going again but I am considering staying somewhere else just to avoid any idiots who might be on a stag party.

Wales
Level Contributor
419 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Flamingo Oasis........What,s going wrong?

Indeed, that was the point I was making. A group of lads/girls on the razz are only looking for a base, somewhere to sleep.

Start offering a good deal and they'll be all over it. The actual quality of the hotel is a bonus really, but they would still chosse a nice one over a rubbish one if the price is right.

Benidorm is a resort for everyone so it is not easy to segregate everyone into different hotels.

The only way to keep the riff raff out is to put the prices up, which unfortunately affects everyone.

Wales
Level Contributor
419 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Flamingo Oasis........What,s going wrong?

They could of course, turn away all bookings of the same sex, but I guess in Benidorm that's a lot of business to turn down and in the current financial climate I guess they're not in a position to do that.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
631 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Flamingo Oasis........What,s going wrong?

We have stayed here 4 times over the last 6 years. On our last visit in June this year.We managed to get a free upgrade to a club room (for booking late, I think). I would only return here if I stayed in a club room.

On our last day we booked a late check out in the normal rooms and they are in dire need of refurbishment. The room we were gived had a crack throughout the bedroom wall. Not 4* at all.

Yes, there were Stags & Hens, also plenty of children. We were told by reception that there were 200 kids in the hotel.

We never saw any problems at all, but the food was not as good as previous visits. I think that many people found this a lovely family hotel, but there is now a very mixed bag of people staying here.

For the cost, I think you would be better staying half board in another hotel, any going out into resort more.

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm