We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Spain

Merseyside UK
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Spain

Hi everyone,I am thinking of driving to spain with my wife.My plan is to take it easy, stopping overnight in France.Has anyone any thoughts on this regarding costs,tolls etc.I don't mind driving long distances but my wife would need to have a break quite often,(my wife is disabled but enjoys travelling).Does anyone know of any interesting places on the way and good accommodation on the way to Spain.Any help,advice or tips would be most welcome.

Ray

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,003 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Spain

Wouldn't even consider driving down through France, the fuel costs and French motorway tolls are horrendoulsy expensive, get the ferry from Portsmouth or Plymouth to Santander and then drive down through Spain, for more relaxed way to do it and costs about the same in the long run

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
Plymouth
Plymouth
Devon, UK
Santander
Santander
Cantabria, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Merseyside UK
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Spain

Thanks Alleycat,sounds good to me I will definitely consider the Plymouth to santander ferry.

Ray

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Devon, UK
Merseyside UK
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Spain

Sorry for the misspelling.

tyne and wear
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Spain

hi we have driven this journey so many times ive lost count. in an array of different veichles both diesel and petrol large and small. average on 300 pound each way without tolls tolls roughly 100 eah way then ferry or train. i have never stopped overnite anywhere, takes me approx 22 hrs non stop from newastle grabbing the odd ten mins here and there, been via paris and the millau and straight down the motorway e15 e17 callais, troyes,dijon, lyon etc only an hour or so diff between them. but most of the 75 clermont too beziers is free, its expensive but i dnt like flying, its a wonderful challenge for you you could cross the border in the north or south the choice is yours, the roads are very fast but usually excellent condition compared to the uk. please dont stop overnight at any of the many laybys enroute they are not safe, keep your wits about you and stop for no one exept an oiffcial police car. you will enjoy the sights and the challenge, get a good european sat nav even thought you cant get lost the motorway that runs out of callais is the same road that passes benidorm ther are no roundabouts no junctions or traffic lights on it just like a train line, if i can help any further please ask, ps portsmouth ferry is also expensive with a very rough crossing of the bay of biscay always... and still leaves you 8/9 hrs driving aross spain

tyne and wear
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Spain

the tolls in france are not the problem , they are a bit expensive nothing major though, its the spanish side the price seems lower but the tolls are far more appearing to come at you every 20 mins or so if that

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,003 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Spain

I've done both routes, through France and ferry to Santander and I would never go through France again, French customs were a nightmare, dismantled my car twice, once when crossing into France from Spain and again at a check point on the motorway just outside Calais, nice meal and a few beers before a good nights sleep on the ferry was much more acceptable and the tolls from Santander to Benidorm on the Spanish motorways was 18€

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Santander
Santander
Cantabria, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
Benidorm
Benidorm
Costa Blanca, Spain
Benidorm
Level Contributor
6,351 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Spain

Done a few differnet ways but certainly will not be driving down through France again. Santander gets my vote by a long way and the ferry is part of the holiday. Price is probably more if you drive through France but not a lot in it. France is a big country as you'll find out if you try it.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Santander
Santander
Cantabria, Spain
tyne and wear
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Spain

and again i to have done this journey endless amounts of times, not once has my car been stripped down by any customs or been stopped at any border crossing. you must look right dodgy or perhaps are you known to the customs and excsise people

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
543 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Spain

Hi

We drive down to Spain each year and the tolls are about £150 each way. We are driving to Benidorm this year again and have added in another days worth of stop overs this year.

This year we are stopping over in Gerzat (B&B hotels) and Barcelona (Travelodge) on the way down, Girona (Holiday inn) and Gerzat (B&B hotels) on the way back.

We do an extra stop as we have small children so we do roughly 5 - 6 hours a day and that's fine for us and we can have a nice meal in the evening, the journey is part of our holiday too, there are loads of F1 hotels on the way also and they are dirt cheap.

Fuel wise about 150-200 each way, our ferry was a bargain as we booked in advance. The plus point is we fill the car up with wine and beer in Spain and bring it home. The motorways in France are fine and we find we make good progress on them with lack of delays.

We really enjoy the drive and love not having the stress of airports and the expense of hiring a car.

Any more questions let me know.

Katy

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Benidorm
Benidorm
Costa Blanca, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Girona
Girona
Province of Girona, Spain
France
France
Europe
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
543 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Spain

Just wanted to add we have never been searched, stopped by anyone etc and have done this journey numerous times, it was cheaper for us than flying especially with the cost of a hire car at our destination. We do have an economical diesel car though. Also try not to use the fuel stations on the motorway to fill up especially at Calais they were extortionate. We navigate on the Tom Tom to the nearest Carrefour etc for fuel.

Get answers to your questions about Benidorm