We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly question

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Silly question

just been reading on previos post banditos about near venus.are these pickpockets? just would rather know their objective better safe than sorry, apreciate any replies we have heard some horror stories abot muggings just abit worried

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly question

These are the lowlifes who hang about when coaches are dropping off/picking people off at the hotels,they take advantage of folks who are distracted whilst getting on and off trying to sort out bags etc

Do not leave anything unnatended even for a second as this is when these Banditos will take advantage and steal anything briefly unnatended !!!

Forewarned is Forearmed

What annoys me is that these coach drivers must recognise these people !!!

Edited: 24 February 2011, 12:25
west yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly question

Yep there pickpockets, and they stood out a mile to us, so just be extra vigilant, really what the hotels should do as well when people are getting dropped off, is maybe send a couple of staff or security out just to keep an eye on things, but i think the police do know who there are, whether they're powerless to arrest them i dont know.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
13,538 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly question

This sort of thing has been going on for years, and it's about time it was stopped. Once and for all.

Along with the other regular scams: e.g. The Pea Men, the money exchange kiosks with incorrect higher or false rates, Time share or holiday club scratch cards, etc.

These scams are regular and must be known to the authorities.

Why don't they put a stop to it? It's No excuse to say that it happens all over the world. What is the Mayor of Benidorm doing about I? Tourism is the life blood of Benidorm.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly question

Hi Dbird if you go to page 34 on this forum lancashire kath has wrote a review of her trip over xmas and new year .Im sure kath uses the venus a lot and has not been put off by these ppl ..Another thing just to look out for is the ones with the maps ..They will come up to you and ask if you know a certain area shove the map up close near your face to distract you will trying to pickpocket just hit the map away ..mazza

scotland
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Silly question

" This sort of thing has been going on for years, and it's about time it was stopped. Once and for all

Along with the other regular scams: e.g. The Pea Men, the money exchange kiosks with incorrect higher or false rates, Time share or holiday club scratch cards, etc.

These scams are regular and must be known to the authorities.

Why don't they put a stop to it? It's No excuse to say that it happens all over the world. What is the Mayor of Benidorm doing about I? Tourism is the life blood of Benidorm. "

Very good post Jeny , i could not have put it better myself.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
13,538 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silly question

Thanks Waldo.

And thank you, Mazza for explaining the scam with the Maps. I must admit that I have not come accross this one. Will take care of that one now.

Perhaps I just look too Poor to Rob !!

Been stopped many times late at night:

Asked have you got the time ? Have you got a Light ? These are the two I know.

Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silly question

If anyone knows any other " chat up " lines,it would be good to let other visitors know them.

Grantham, UK
Level Contributor
86 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silly question

To be fair, being asked the time or for a light may well be genuine questions rather than an attempt to steal.

In the past I have found that unusually friendly behaviour is often a starting sign. May years ago in Tenerife, I was walking away from the Veronicas complex (bars, clubs etc) and down a shortcut that wasn't particulary well lit. A small group of lads, claiming to be (and sounding) Italian started with the 'Hey, you English? Who do you support? Daveeeeed Beckham??' spiel, and still laughing and joking came over and one put his arm around me and said 'We support Roma! Best in Italia!' and then bid my farewell.

Of course, my wallet was gone and once I realised and went looking for them, they were no-where to be found.

So I would say that anyone who invades your personal space, especially at night when you are not in a crowded situation, should instantly get your guard up.

West Yorks
Level Contributor
640 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silly question

We were just outside the Flamingo Oasis, when a young man approached us. He seemed extremely upset and agitated. He asked us hurriedly if we had a mobile phone, as he had just had some upsetting news. I never carry my phone out so refused, but he seemed so much in need of help that I would have handed over my phone. It was only when he walked away quite normally, that I realised he would have taken my phone and been off!! I think I had a lucky escape as I am not usually so stupid.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
544 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Silly question

with regard to my post on page 34 about our experience outside the Venus Hotel, I still can,t make my mind up about the couple who approached us late at night. There was just something really suspicious about the way they were acting, they were " too nice" and too touchy feely for my liking. Fortunately after reading all the warnings on this forum I was certainly taking no chances. To anyone who is worried, I can say that this was the only incident we saw near the Hotel, so just be aware of your surroundings and take notice who is near you. On saying that, it would,nt put us off going back to the Venus, its a lovely Hotel and we had a great Xmas/New Year