We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pick pocket

7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
pick pocket

I know this has been discussed at length but I'm just back in from a night on the square and feel obliged to tell this. Was sitting having a smoke on one of the circles to a fellow Irish person I had just met when a woman wearing a red dress sat beside me and starting harassing me. I assumed she was a prostitute and told her to go away or words to that effect. She got up and fell on top of me and left. 2 mins later the Irish fella ask me for to go on with him for a drink. Hand in my pocket, side pocket in combat shorts I may add, and my money and bankcard had gone. After reading on here previously I knew what had happened and said to the guy I was with. He said ring 112 and I did the woman was sitting on the next circle prob t the same thing so I went and asked her to give me back my money and card. She got up and started walking. O followed and showed her o was on the phone to the police. She gave me my stuff back and said she was sorry. I told the police on the phone and 2 plain clothes officers came to me and asked what had happened. I explained and they took after her. I was lucky I'm sure others weren't so. It can happen to anyone including me. Would it put me off coming here, no, but next time ill be a lot more careful.

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
388 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: pick pocket

Im glad you had a "happy ending" ..... unfortunately this sort of thing goes on everywhere. If going for a night out leave your cards behind and take only a certain amount of cash just incase of these incidents! You were very lucky that she gave the stuff back ..... these are probably professional gangs and know exactly how to target people! Just be very vigilant - and enjot the rest of your time here in Beni!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pick pocket

emwil:

Good informative report. People need to be on guard even in resorts.

HULL UK
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: pick pocket

How long before this is removed?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: pick pocket

Good post and thank you.Glad you got it sorted in the end.

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: pick pocket

Good to hear you kept your wits about you and got your money and card back,good example of how quick and sneaky these thieving sc*mbags are as well.

I cant see why it will be removed though,good informative information !!

Wales
Level Contributor
418 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pick pocket

It's very frustrating isn't it, holidays are meant to be relaxing.

I mean, it's easy enough to have your wits about you out and about during the day, but in the square, 4 o clock in the morning, after a shedful having a good time, much more difficult.

I must admit, I would never take a bank card out with me, but then again I'm probably carrying more cash than I should be so that I don't run out.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pick pocket

Glad you got your money and card back emwil2011. It's good your reported it to the police too, so they have the chance to do something about it. Good report. Regards Lisa.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
965 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: pick pocket

Glad you got your stuff back, and glad to hear there are plain clothes police knocking about too.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
12,723 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pick pocket

Thanks for letting everyone know. Good for you getting your money back. What nationality do you think this woman in a red dress was? About how old??

Also very glad to hear about the plain clothes police. Hope they were police!! Take care.

Edited: 16 June 2011, 18:04
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: pick pocket

thanks for all the replies. I would guess she wasn't spainish and around 30 till 40, hopefully she got caught by the police in the end. I was defo 1 of the lucky ones because I was on the phone to the police while I followed her which Obv scared her enough to give me my stuff back. Back home tomorrow but as I said wouldn't put me off going back and its by 2nd year in a row comin here. love it as much as ever but if this ever happens to you 112 is the.number to call and I.hope your as lucky as I was if it does and you get everything back.

Edited: 18 June 2011, 00:46
Get answers to your questions about Benidorm