We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Result of Enquiry into Credit/Debit card Charges (at last)

Which Benidorm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
Save Topic
Result of Enquiry into Credit/Debit card Charges (at last)

Here is result of the OFTs enquiry into Credit/Debit card charges

Bye Bye Charges ;o) ;o)

oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2011/76-11

This one relates more to Airlines

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13932299

Edited: 28 June 2011, 11:54
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,298 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Result of Enquiry into Credit/Debit card Charges (at last)

Quickly reading that article I think it is only debit cards that will become free of charges .

Credit cards will still be charged a fee.

This is good news for travellers , not so good for certain airlines .

No doubt clever airline bosses ---- no names mentioned --- will find a way of making up the losses.

I will give him a few ideas.

How about :

Coin operated ( £1 ) Seat belt release locks

Coin operated ( £1) Air ventilation

Coin operated ( £1 ) Light.

Or they could park the plane at the furthest away part of the airport and then charge a transfer fee by coach to the arrivals ----- the fare of course depending on the severity of the weather .The worse the dearer.

Perhaps Mr You know who could find me a well paid job in his New Ideas Dept.

Graham

scotland
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Result of Enquiry into Credit/Debit card Charges (at last)

Anyone know when this is going to come into affect , ive got money coming off me on the 17th July.?

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
388 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Result of Enquiry into Credit/Debit card Charges (at last)

I don't think that "Mr I can do what I want" will take a blind bit of notice on any rulings .....he doesn't usually!

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Result of Enquiry into Credit/Debit card Charges (at last)

With this being a UK ruling and Ryanair being based in the Republic of Ireland don't expect Dick (O'Leary) Turpin to take much notice

Wales
Level Contributor
396 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Result of Enquiry into Credit/Debit card Charges (at last)

Brill, get ready for flight price increases. Now, I'll be paying more and everyone else will be paying the same. Good progress.

Benidorm
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Result of Enquiry into Credit/Debit card Charges (at last)

It took a while for the" All inclusive hotels" to start up in Benidorm, maybe there soon will be an "All inclusive air fare " airline..... back to the 80's

Edited: 28 June 2011, 13:50
Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Result of Enquiry into Credit/Debit card Charges (at last)

<<<"Anyone know when this is going to come into affect , ive got money coming off me on the 17th July.?">>>

Consumer minister Edward Davey said: "We will work with the OFT to make sure that consumers paying by card do not have to pay excessive surcharges."

He added that the government was supporting the introduction of European rules, which would stipulate that surcharges must reflect the costs to businesses. It could be up to two years before these are adopted in UK law.

Leeds
Level Contributor
3,388 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Result of Enquiry into Credit/Debit card Charges (at last)

I have a pre paid debit mastercard and made 2 bookings recently that went ok. I tried to use it again for another 2 but surprise surprise it wouldn't let me due to a card error. I phoned my provider and they said the card was charged up fine so it was something to do with the airline (mentioning no names here) I rang them and it took 40 mins to get through at 10p a minute and was told they'd look in to it. I tried several days later to book and had the same problem so had to use a debit card at £12.00 per person. I think they do it on purpose because they know you'll get fed up of trying and be scared that the flights will change if you leave it. Has anyone else had this probelm with a pre paid mastercard?

Sue :-)

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,298 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Result of Enquiry into Credit/Debit card Charges (at last)

In the laswt couple of weeks I have booked with my Caxton fx euro pre paid mastertcard with no problems and paid no card charge .

This booking was with Ryanair.

Graham

Merseyside
Level Contributor
1,821 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Result of Enquiry into Credit/Debit card Charges (at last)

i know this is all serious stuff,but can i just say its the first time reading this forum i have laughed out loud at grahams comments above, about a certain airlines charges,it made my day,thanks again graham,linda.