We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Church at Altea

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Church at Altea

Hubby and I head to Benidorm in 18 days time again and he really wants to visit the church at Altea. Thinking of booking a trip there but was wondering how close to the entrance to the church the bus would drop us off? He has a disability which makes walking difficult specially uphill (he wears 2 full length calipers on his legs) and I really don't really want him to have to struggle. Any advice would be appreciated!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Church at Altea

Hi Shezza , have visited this Church twice and in all honesty, I dont tthink the location would be suitable for your husband. Its at the top of a hill. The hill is covered in steps and narrow roads with lots of houses built on it. I took the No 10 bus to the terminus in Altea which is basically at the bottom of the hill..

I dont know about organised trips to the Church, but if its on a minibus then perhaps it manages to get right to the top, Fairly flat area right outside the Church, with a few restaurants and the most amazing views. There are also a few shops on hillslop on way up to the Church. Lovely little houses with beautiful terraces and people very friendly. My daughter and I were get lots of waves and Ohla's from people out sweeping their terraces and steps. 1 elderly man even let my daughter water all his pot plants which were on his terrace and offered me a cold drink..

Calpe
Level Contributor
789 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Church at Altea

I think a cab may possibly be the answer to visiting the church...there is a way to get to the top from the back way up! There's also 2 railway stations that stop in Altea (from Benidorm), again both at the bottom of the very steep road or steps up to the top. If you can manage to get there you'll love the views etc...well worth the climb. Have a great time when you get here.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
965 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Church at Altea

You could take the bus to Altea, then get a taxi to the top.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Church at Altea

Hi Shezza

I've gotta agree with Aldente that the Church is not the easiest to reach on foot. The pavements have been made with loads of pebbles, so that isn't very comfortable underfoot for anybody.

If your husband still wants to visit what about a taxi from Altea town centre where the bus drops you! I'm also thinking that mornings might be best to visit, as we went in the afternoon a few years back, and the Church was closed (siesta) til about 4 pm I think it was.

The inside of the Church is worth seeing, as are the views from the top of the hill.

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Church at Altea

Its hard work getting to the top Shezza and agree the steps are a nightmare !!

There must be some sort of vehicular access though ie there are shops restaurants up there and people live up at the top,I would definitely try and check they will be open as well,last 2 times we have been up there the Church has been closed !!!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Church at Altea

So, to get this right I would definitely be able to get a taxi right up the hill to the church? Hubby is desperate to see it as he's heard so much about it! I will also ask at the Roundtown next to the Ambassador whether the organised trips would take us right to the entrance! Thanks so much for all your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to meeting you Aldente!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Church at Altea

Same here shezza, looking forward to meeting you and your hubby. I hope you get trip sorted out for the Church. It is definately worth a visit.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Church at Altea

We had booked a blanket trip to Altea through the Roundtown last year and I'm sure the guy said the bus would take us right to the church but maybe my minds playing tricks! As it turned out we couldn't make it cos hubby wasn't too great that morning! Not the end of the world if he doesn't get there but it would be nice for him as he's not had a terrific year! Going to do Calpe as well!

Aldente, will give you my mobile number before I leave but if for some reason I forget and don't give you it by the 25th will you give me a reminder on here? Lol Got a memory like a goldfish sometimes!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Church at Altea

No probs shezza, will private message you, nearer the time.

La Marina, Spain
Level Contributor
223 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Church at Altea

Hi Shezza. My profile picture shows me sitting on the steps at Altea that lead up to the square where the church is. It's a heck of a climb. I think a taxi from Altea up to the square would be well worth it. It's so pretty there and the veiws are wonderful. Calpe is lovely too. My partner and u stayed there 2 years ago.

Edited: 09 September 2011, 06:41
Get answers to your questions about Benidorm