We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free

Which Benidorm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
duty free

Hi

Has anybody had any problems bringing in duty free cigs since the new limit started. I brought 3,200 last time i was their but heard things were getting strict flying back to glasgow prestwick

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: duty free

The most recent advice from HMRC can be found here:

hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm

scotland
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: duty free

you can bring as many as you like , as long as they are for your own use .

ive been stopped with 6,000 mayfair a couple of times , but i proved they were for my own use.

ps dont mix your brand of ciggies , always keep a packet with some in it , and always carry a lighter and light one up outside the airport terminal as they can follow you .

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: duty free

Waldo I only bring cigs and baccy for myself and partner (he smokes the baccy!) and we used to bring our full allowance each but I'm worried about how I 'prove' they are for our own use? Obviously we have a packet on us and a lighter and its the first thing we do when we get outside but what if they try to take my stash?

scotland
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: duty free

It all depends how many you are wanting to take back Pinky , i`m not sure what the guidelines are now , but remember they are only Guidelines .

unless you went crazy and took 10,000 plus , i doubt you would be in bother , and another thing to remember is that they know exactly how many times you travel as the passports get scanned , so if you go quite a few times i would only take back what the guideline says , or maybe a couple of hundred more.

if you travel only once or twice a year you will have no problems.

if you are bringing tobacco , open the cartons and spread the packets in your hand luggage , as all hold luggage gets scanned by customs , but not hand luggage.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: duty free

Usually only go once a year, twice if im lucky and was going to bring my usual 16 sleeves of fags each and 3 baccy! Just dont want to lose it!

Edited: 03 March 2012, 19:52
merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: duty free

there is no such thing as duty free you are buying goods duty paid within another EU country it so happens duty is lower in Spain than UK hence cheaper prices

England
Level Contributor
726 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: duty free

It's all relevant to the person as Waldo mentioned. Once a year & buy same brand then there is no problems no matter what anyone else tells you.

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
388 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: duty free

Just make sure you don't buy them at the airport at the "Duty Free" shop - they are more expensive there than in the tobaccos in town. And if buying significant quantities it'll make quite a difference.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: duty free

est advice.........stop smoking

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: duty free

Thanks Dean and Miss Beni always use the tabac shops so sounds like I should be fine!